Macbook spill

Reaction score
I'm new here. But I split oil diffuser on my black macbook and now it wont turn on. I have cleaned it out buy taking all the parts out cleaning them with distilled water and a little soap and then rinsing all the parts except the disc drive and hdd with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I let it dry for some time and I put everything back together and now the thing still wont turn on. My battery is dead and when I put the charger on the light turns green but doesnt charge the battery. I ended up charging the battery on a friends mac and it still wont turn my macbook on. Also I did notice that when I had the mac open and battery connected my heat sinks were getting warm so I know its pulling slight power from my battery but does this mean my logic board is fried? And if possible what would be the best way of going about a fix without replacing the logic board. I'm working on a student budget. Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Spilling some sort of liquid on your laptop is NEVER good...and usually does not have a happy ending. Unfortunately...this is far from the first time someone has posted on Mac-Forums concerning a spill on their laptop.

Give this thread a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...d-my-macbook-what-should-i-do-now-thread.html

I'll add one additional note. Spilling an "oily" substance like you mentioned (oil diffuser) is actually a bit uncommon. Most folks spill a more "water-based" substance like water, soda, coffee, juice, etc. Oily substances can be a bit more difficult to clean since you definitely need some sort of soap or an alcohol to break-down or solubilize the oil.

Unfortunately...many of the plastics and resin/epoxy coated electronic components in computers do not like alcohol...since alcohol can react or "melt" plastics and the resins & epoxy's. So it is possible that some additional problems could have been created using alcohol...especially if it was not completely cleaned up...or neutralized with water after cleaning with it.

Sorry to hear about your spill,:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Well there are many possible things that were fried. Any kind of liquid wreaks havoc with circuit boards.

You could take your macbook to apple, and they can hopefully tell you exactly what is wrong. If it's something really major (like the logic board) there is nothing you can do to save money except buy/install one yourself. But this is only recommended for more tech-savey people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.