To book or not to book

Reaction score
Hi,
Basically i am currently running a 17" hp laptop and have never had trouble with windows. Its always worked fine done everything i wanted and played all games i want.
However ive been amazed by Apple products since i was old enough to know what they did, this fascination has resulted in me buying an iphone with my first paycheck and saving all other money to give me a budget for this decision.
I am starting a college course in september that will centre heavily on audio and video editing and production, in addition to this i have recently been worknig on the first steps of generating a podcast.

Due to this ive decided it was time to make the dive into macs due to their (in my opinion) superior media creation applications.

The end point is i am not sure what to buy:
1. iMac 24" and then when i have the money or choose it to be required i will buy an ipad.
2. 15" Macbook Pro
3. 17" Macbook Pro (to match up with the laptop i am currently using.

This setup will primarily spend its time on my desk at home connected into an audio system but i would personally like to be able to have something to take to college for taking notes in class.

I would like to add i spend ALOT of time on World of Warcraft, so i dont know how important a factor this will be.

Any advise would be helpful, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
G
Reaction score
Hi,
Basically i am currently running a 17" hp laptop and have never had trouble with windows. Its always worked fine done everything i wanted and played all games i want.
However ive been amazed by Apple products since i was old enough to know what they did, this fascination has resulted in me buying an iphone with my first paycheck and saving all other money to give me a budget for this decision.
I am starting a college course in september that will centre heavily on audio and video editing and production, in addition to this i have recently been worknig on the first steps of generating a podcast.

Due to this ive decided it was time to make the dive into macs due to their (in my opinion) superior media creation applications.

1. iMac 24" and then when i have the money or choose it to be required i will buy an ipad.
2. 15" Macbook Pro

This setup will primarily spend its time on my desk at home connected into an audio system but i would personally like to be able to have something to take to college for taking notes in class.

I would like to add i spend ALOT of time on World of Warcraft, so i dont know how important a factor this will be.

Any advise would be helpful, thank you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

OP
G
Reaction score
What setup?

Hi,

I am starting a college course in september that will centre heavily on audio and video editing and production so ive decided the time is right for me to make the change i have been thiknig about for ages, in addition to this i have recently been working on the first steps of generating a podcast.

2. 15" Macbook Pro
4. (posiblity) 13" Macbook Pro and iMac

Any help would be great thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
15" MacBook Pro + external display.

You'll never take the 17" to college on a regular basis, it's just too massive. But most students I know often need one in classes (myself included).
The 13" is a little bit underpowered for serious video editing.

A 15" screen isn't really comfortable long bouts of video production work, so if you get a nice cheapish 24" screen to use it with at home, you'll be all set. I personally use a 13" with a similar setup and it's a good combination IMO.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast responce.

Will that run World of Warcraft well?
Also what external display would you reccomend?
If you could maybe attack a photo of your set up that would be great thank you.

Any other advise from anyone?
anyone got experience taking notes on ipad?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged crossposts for 2nd time... Please don't create another one.

Reaction score
Pretty much any standard monitor will suffice, decide for yourself which size, etc, you need. Here's a thread on running external monitors, it has a lot of tips and some discussion going there to help you troubleshoot if needed.
Running a MacBook/MacBook Pro on an external monitor :: www.gscottolson.com/weblog/

As for WoW on a Mac, I still use my PC for it, but a guildy runs it on an iMac. He is generally pleased, I am pretty sure he runs one of the higher end models.
As for running WoW on a MBP, it will run, but you will not maintain high fps on a high resolution external display in a raid situation(ICC is hungry for resources like no other raid before it).

I suggest the iMac(more power for WoW and video editing), and get something else later to help with notes at lectures. As for which iMac, I would not recommend the models with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M(they will not meet your needs), but rather the 27-inch iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 4850, or at least the middle range with ATI Radeon HD 4670(still 2-3 times faster the then NVIDIA 9400M).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks for the fast responce.

Will that run World of Warcraft well?
Also what external display would you reccomend?
If you could maybe attack a photo of your set up that would be great thank you.

Any other advise from anyone?
anyone got experience taking notes on ipad?
Any of the current MacBook Pros will run wow fine... the 15" will give you slightly better graphics than the 13" though.

My setup is in the setup thread.. do a search. I like some of samsung's monitors And please listen to bobtomay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
A big +1 for the external monitor. Thats exactly the setup I plan to have once I start collage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.