Quick iPad 3G Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M
Ok, I checked AT&T's 3G coverage area and my are is not covered by 3G but by Partner Edge, I'm wondering by getting a iPad 3G, can I still use the 3G in my area? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
If your general area doesnt have any 3G Coverage. How would you get 3G Service?
In short, No, you will most likely not get it. However if you live close to a area that does offer 3G you will have it on your iPad BUT it would be very slow, and i can imagine you losing the 3G from time to time. Save money and go for the Wi-Fi

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, just wondering. Guess I won't be getting an iPad than.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Keep in mind that the iPad is also capable of using the EDGE network. Now I don't know where you live, so I can't say for certain that you won't get 3G service, but I can practically guarantee that you'll get EDGE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
What is EDGE? and how does it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
EDGE

It's essentially 2.5G, so it's slower than 3G, but AT&T poured a lot of money into upgrading its EDGE network after the first iPhone came out, so it's not ridiculously slow. Great for web browsing, email, shorter Youtube videos, and instant message; not so great for downloading movies/TV shows or streaming Youtube in HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
One problem with the "partner EDGE," though. AT&T's website has a blurb on there about excessive use of partner EDGE can result in restriction of partner EDGE use. Which I take to mean that they don't intend for it to be your main data connection, just for now an again when you're in those areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Personaly though, i wouldnt get the 3G version if your gonna be stuck on EDGE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,2, iPad 16 gb, iPhone 3GS 32 gb, Iphone 4
Edge sucks, if you don't have 3G coverage in your area go for wifi only model

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well one of my main reasons of me getting a iPad was for 3G, I would personally like a device where i can access the internet anywhere. I have serveral main reasons of getting an iPad, if I can't do anyone of those than I won't get an iPad. If I want to get an iPad Wifi, people have to give me good reasons.

Reaction score
If I want to get an iPad Wifi, people have to give me good reasons.[/QUOTE

If you really need the forum to give you reasons to buy the Wi-fi model...then chances are you don't want to buy it.

Sounds like you had your heart set on a 3g model.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Well one of my main reasons of me getting a iPad was for 3G, I would personally like a device where i can access the internet anywhere. I have serveral main reasons of getting an iPad, if I can't do anyone of those than I won't get an iPad. If I want to get an iPad Wifi, people have to give me good reasons.

I upgraded to iPhone from my iPod touch because I wanted to have the iPod Touch functionality when I was out an about. Essentially I live on the Edge (pun intended); I seldom stray into areas that have 3G coverage, and while I notice a speed/performance boost under 3G, I have yet to find an area (I live in Arkansas) where I couldn't get some level of usability from Edge coverage.

Bottomline: If you are planning on 3G only for your connection, I might hesitate. But, if (like me) you want the 3G for out and about, but will depend on Wifi the majority of the time, I would go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
You live in a area that doesnt have 3G service and you want 3G. So why would you get the 3G Version. Your gonna be paying each month to have EDGE service when you should have 3G. Watse of money IMO.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You live in a area that doesnt have 3G service and you want 3G. So why would you get the 3G Version. Your gonna be paying each month to have EDGE service when you should have 3G. Watse of money IMO.

3G is just a number and a letter. :)

What I am paying for is internet, mail and data connectivity when I am away from my Wifi network. Faster is better, but often something is far better than nothing at all. Having lived with my iPod Touch (which I loved) having Edge is far better than not having it at all, though 3G would be nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.