Video Conferencing

Reaction score
I am looking to setup a video conference with family members on both PC and Mac, and I am trying to figure out the best method of doing so. Ideally there'd be one main chat room, with the ability for everyone to have their cam shared with the participants.

I'd, most likely, be hosting this, and I'm on a Mac, and I'm hoping throughout the wealth of knowledge on these forums, I might get a solid solution suggested.

Thanks everyone!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Both the current version of iChat and the current version of Skype permit creation of chat rooms. This feature seems to make it easy to share chats with multiple people simultaneously. I am not sure about the sharing of the camera.Normally I think iChat limits regular chat connections to four video chats. Not sure if that applies in this case.

I haven't really experimented with the chat room features in either program. As a general rule I prefer iChat for most of my uses but since some of your members would likely be PC users Skype is probably the better option. iChat seems to work fine with PC users on AIM the few times I have tried it but I have never tried it with the group chat feature.

How to Create a Chat Room in iChat | eHow.com
How to Use Skype Chat Room Connector | eHow.com

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright... I'll do some tests with Skype then with some friends with PCs and my Mac to see how that works.

If anyone else reads this, and thinks of other options, I'm more than willing to look into other things too.

Thank you Slydude for the info!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I stumbled upon another option shortly after my post. There are some hosting services that might be helpful here. Haven't had a chance to check out the companies mentioned in step 3 of this article. How to Create an Online Chat Room | eHow.com

This might be an option if you find that you are running into bandwidth issues hosting it with your connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.