Windows update, VMWare Fusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I am running Vista Home Premium in VMWare Fusion on my iMac fo a couple of programs that I can't afford to buy the Mac version of, or the Mac version is so terribly broken, that the only option is to run it in Windows. Anyway, there have been no updates applied to the installed version of Vista as of yet. I ran Windows update and got the following error, 80073712.

I did find some references to this error on the web, and tried the various 'fixes', even downloading the Windows Update software for Microsoft. Still, I get the error anytime I run Windows Update. Nothing I do seems to correct the problem. The internet connection works fine in the VM, so I know that is not the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue, and found a way to correct it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Erik

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try this fix? According to what I've been able to research on this, it appears that the Windows Update agent has become corrupt somehow.

However, if you tried to reinstall Windows Update and it still doesn't work, you may have to resort to either reinstalling Windows Vista by doing a repair install or just manually download the updates. See this LINK.

Regards.

OP
Chef_eam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Just gave that a try and there is no pending.xml file on the system. Will give the manual install a go when I get home from work...or maybe just go the bootcamp route. I hate to go there since it makes indows seem so permanent if I partition the drive for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.