Best way to sync bookmarks on iPad?

Reaction score
I really, really like Google Chrome browser's bookmark sync feature; it automatically keeps my bookmarks in sync on each device I configure it.

How can I sync my bookmarks to my iPad without having to import & export bookmarks constantly into another browser, as it seems iTunes doesn't support syncing bookmarks with Chrome.

Also, I'm NOT going to pay $99 for MobileMe when Google does it for me for free...

Reaction score
It doesn't look like that's a Sync option. Time for us to use the suggestion form on Apples site.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good luck for awhile... they should already have in place something for a browser that's what... 6 months old and hasn't even come out of beta yet? Don't really think so.

Everyone wanting to live on the bleeding edge of both hardware and software, also have to live with the inconveniences to some extent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You make it sound like you are paying 99 just for a bookmark feature! You could have payed just 75 for it if you got it at the same time as your ipad. MM is awesome! Just because you don't want to do something one way doesn't mean there will definitely be a better alternative.

OP
D
Reaction score
Good luck for awhile... they should already have in place something for a browser that's what... 6 months old and hasn't even come out of beta yet? Don't really think so.

Everyone wanting to live on the bleeding edge of both hardware and software, also have to live with the inconveniences to some extent.

Actually, the Chrome browser came out in December 2008 and it is certainly out of beta.

AND it has a larger market share than even Safari - Chrome is at or around 6% of the browser market, safari is around 4%.

OP
D
Reaction score
Think I found a workaround: Seems I should be able to use Xmarks to sync Chrome & IE and then sync IE with iTunes.

There's always a way to get something done.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Actually, the Chrome browser came out in December 2008 and it is certainly out of beta.

The official beta for both OS X and Linux were released Dec. 8, 2009 - reference.

And as far as it not being in Beta, I guess you should let Google know that since this is what they have on their download page.

20100425-pratbx484i2qcibnfmpcihrirb.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Guess I should have been more clear: I only use Windows and Chrome for Windows was released in 12/2008 and has both a beta and stable public version. So you're right about the mac version, I'm right about the Windows version.

Reaction score
I sync with my desktop PC and it seems that the only way to sync the bookmarks is to put them in IE first. I use Firefox and for some reason the iPad only gives you a choice of syncing with IE. I don't get it....

jom

OP
D
Reaction score
I sync with my desktop PC and it seems that the only way to sync the bookmarks is to put them in IE first. I use Firefox and for some reason the iPad only gives you a choice of syncing with IE. I don't get it....

jom

How do you import your Firefox bookmarks into IE? I couldn't find a way to import favorites into IE - at least not any way that worked well for me.

Anyhow, I just downloaded xMarks & it seems to work really well - it cleanly & properly synced my Chrome bookmarks into IE. So far so good....now we'll just have to wait 'til I get my iPad on Friday to see how well they sync over to it...shouldn't be any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually the easiest solution is just to install Xmarks for Safari and Chrome. It will automatically sync bookmarks between Safari and Chrome which means each time you sync your iPad, you'll have the latest bookmarks.

Side benefit is if you ever fire up Safari, it too will have the same bookmarks you have in Chrome.

And it's free.

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

Reaction score
Actually the easiest solution is just to install Xmarks for Safari and Chrome. It will automatically sync bookmarks between Safari and Chrome which means each time you sync your iPad, you'll have the latest bookmarks.

Side benefit is if you ever fire up Safari, it too will have the same bookmarks you have in Chrome.

And it's free.

Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

I want to agree with this suggestion. I've been using XMarks with firefox on multiple machines for years now, and it's been absolutely flawless.

Another plus is they have a WEB based iphone/ipod touch app (not to be confused with their native iphone app, which I haven't tried) . I keep a link to XMarks web based app in my top level iphone bookmark folder. This gives me the ability to click on that link very quickly from within the iphone and have very smooth access to ALL of my desktop bookmarks. This way my iphone is not cluttered with too many books, but they're all readily available when I need them. This approach requires no additional setup beyond your initial XMarks setup.

Pete

OP
D
Reaction score
I want to agree with this suggestion. I've been using XMarks with firefox on multiple machines for years now, and it's been absolutely flawless.

Another plus is they have a WEB based iphone/ipod touch app (not to be confused with their native iphone app, which I haven't tried) . I keep a link to XMarks web based app in my top level iphone bookmark folder. This gives me the ability to click on that link very quickly from within the iphone and have very smooth access to ALL of my desktop bookmarks. This way my iphone is not cluttered with too many books, but they're all readily available when I need them. This approach requires no additional setup beyond your initial XMarks setup.

Pete

Awwww, sweet!!! Thanks for that!!

And yes, I've been using XMarks to sync my Chrome bookmarks with my iPad & it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
A related problem.

I setup Instapaper with the bookmark on Safari on the iPad, as the instructions say. Now I keep getting a message about my bookmarks being out of sync when I load Safari or run the MobileMe sync on the Mac.

There doesn't seem to be an option to sync the Mac to match the remote (i.e. The iPad) version, but if I accept the other option it will remove the Instapaper bookmark from the iPad.

Anyone else have that please? Any solution?

Reaction score
I've been using Firefox Home to sync my bookmarks and tabs, but obviously you have to be using Firefox on your computer rather than chrome. If you don't mind making the switch you can refer to this tutorial for help setting up firefox home.

Reaction score
Download the apollo browser. It's totally free, and I love it. It's like chrome, for iPad: no frills, all function.
It has an option where you can sync with chrome and firefox. Just gotta download the extension for chrome on their website, and it syncs through your google account. It works perfectly, and it updates as you add/remove bookmarks on chrome.
I like to use it when I'm browsing on my laptop and ipad at the same time, and I can make the two communicate with each other instead of typing entire URLs. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.