Mac Book Pro 15" (mid 2007) No Video

Reaction score
I was using my computer last night, placed it in my backpack, am very careful when it is in my bag. Took it out this morning, plugged it in, tried to boot it and alas, no video. I did a hard shut down, turned it back on, no chime although i expect that may be due to the fact that i have PSST enabled. The cdrom drive makes its noise but yet no video. I have tried to hook it up to an external monitor and yet again, no video, the display doesn't even refresh. I called apple, they had me run through a few things and they think its the video card, if anyone else has any suggestions that would be fantastic. Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. When the video went on my MBP i was able to get enough use to run it a few times and make a current back up. First i ran the Extended Hardware test then i did a PRAM reset here making sure there were 3 chimes before releasing the buttons.
It would then run for a while until the load/heat locked it up, then i did that sequence again and got another limited period. No guarantee that it will work but worth a try.
Incidentally mine passed the Hardware test even tho the video was shot.

OP
C
Reaction score
Collin,
Thanks so much for the assistance, I gave it a shot and I was able to get the chime to occur 3 times but unfortunately it did not make a bit of difference, the screen is still black and even hooking it up to the external monitor did not make a bit of difference. Anyone have any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple support is probably correct. It sounds like your video chipset on the logic board has failed. That means swapping out the entire logic board since the GPU is soldered to the board. That can be an expensive repair. Is your machine under warranty still, or do you have Apple care? If so, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and take it on in.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.