abused powerbook issue

E

eceon

ok. i'm back with another question to throw at you..

one of the prof's here at the university has a powerbook that he litterally abused to death. i mean, the guy dropped the machine numerous times (with the scrn open and shut), he shoved his papers in the middle of the powerbook and used the laptop like a trapper keeper, and the screen is scatched all to ****. and now this powermac won't even turn on (i think).

today, i received a brand new 15" powermac on my desk which this prof purchased the other day. he now wants this to be his new machine and discard the old one, since the expense of repairing that is as high as one of these new powermacs.

the thing is the guy wants our department to transfer all of his old data to his new computer. now, again, there are several issues i am facing when approaching this. first of all, i cant even get the old powermac to power up! secondly, it was suggested to move the old HD into the new powermac (which i personally think is a dangerous move).

what are my options here? is there a way to force start this machine into life? what real dangers do i face in exchanging the hard drives? does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

i hope i was clear enough and that someone can help me out. thanks again for hearing me out and hopefully helping me through this madness. peace. :)

e.

OP
E

eceon

oops. i meant to say "powerbook" and not "powermac". these are all powerbook G4 laptops that i am dealing with. sorry.. ive got a lot on my plate :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
eceon, since the powerbook cost to much to fix. I would take any usable parts I can and recycle them (.i.e memory, hard disk and air port card).

Swapping a hard disk on a powerbook is easier than an iBook I believe. To make life easier on you I would sawp the disks.

OP
E

eceon

thnx for responding rman :)

yes, this is to be my next move apprently. i am just a bit worried about the potential dangers of doing this if there are any. do you think there are any dangers? is it a safe enough procedure for me to do?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not done an upgrade yet. I have only add more memory to my powerbook. I have the original G4, I call it revision B, because I did not have all the problems except for the battery falling out. I have a twenty MB disk, I will be looking to up grade it to some like a 60 or 80 when the money is right (my money). unless there is a change in the powerbook line, then I will save money for that upgrade.

But all in all, the upgrading to the disk does not appear to be that hard, just maybe putting the case back together maybe the problem. I have read this in the past. I you go this route, just take your time.

OP
E

eceon

thanx for yr input. i will be trying this soon. i am just skeptical about potential dangers in introducing a possibly corrupted hard disk into a brand new powerbook. but, as far as i can tell, none of the symptoms point to the hard disk being corrupted.

OP
E

eceon

hi... it's me again. ugh i know :p

can anyone please provide me with instructions for removing the bottom panel of the new powerbook G4 (15") ? i am attempting to swap the hard drives out of an old powerbook into this new one. plus, any advice on this job would be much appreciated! again, thanx mac-forums!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.