Reading on the iPad..for real!

Reaction score
Although I appreciate your concern about my health, I think that I have it under control. Even with a beach umbrella you can't see it as well as you can the e-ink. It is just my opinion that e-readers are better technology for us outdoor folks for now.

I have used all four portable devices... I own a Macbook, IPhone 3G and a Nook and I just couldn't justify the cost of the IPad based on using a friends for a few days and how I plan to use it.

I'm not saying that it is a bad device, but it fits in a gap that I frankly don't have. It would be a device that I would be happy to get but then quickly toss to the side as I am always using my laptop, my phone, or my e-reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
I have a sony reader that is great, and I read books on my iphone. (havent recieved my ipad yet) So I have experience with both types of screens. Yes, the sony reader looks more like an actual piece of paper but I LOVE reading on my iphone. I have spent hours reading on it with stanza. iBook is one of the main reasons that I am getting an ipad and im sure i will use it more than any other app. So personally, i have never gotten eye strain or fatigue reading on my iphone.

As I said in an earlier post, my wife and I sold our Sony readers. For us the iPad is much better for reading. Plus you are not limited by format restrictions. And of course there are a zillion other things to do with the iPad as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think one of the biggest problems with all the people down on iPad for reading is that 1) they probably haven't even used it and 2 there has never been an LCD device as convenient for reading before the iPad. Sure, there have been tablets, but they have always been bulky and not good for long-term use like reading a book.

Also weren't the big drivers of e-ink it's low power usage for long term use and light convenient form factor? Seems like the iPad answers those issues easily. If anyone needs more than 10 hours a day, they need to get out more! :p

Reaction score
I think one of the biggest problems with all the people down on iPad for reading is that 1) they probably haven't even used it and 2 there has never been an LCD device as convenient for reading before the iPad. Sure, there have been tablets, but they have always been bulky and not good for long-term use like reading a book.

??? I have used it as I mentioned and E-readers have been around for a long time which are great for reading books.

Although I would suspect that many that bash it haven't used it. It is a nice device, just not for me.

Reaction score
I think one of the biggest problems with all the people down on iPad for reading is that 1) they probably haven't even used it and 2 there has never been an LCD device as convenient for reading before the iPad. Sure, there have been tablets, but they have always been bulky and not good for long-term use like reading a book. :p
I don't believe that's true. I'm getting an Ipad and have been reading on my Touch but lots of folks have tried it and don't like it. There are a number of devices as convenient but they are dedicated readers. I want the Ipad for it's many functions but many folks prefer other readers for good reasons.

OP
V
Reaction score
I don't believe that's true. I'm getting an Ipad and have been reading on my Touch but lots of folks have tried it and don't like it. There are a number of devices as convenient but they are dedicated readers. I want the Ipad for it's many functions but many folks prefer other readers for good reasons.

I tried to read on my iPhone and the screen is just too small for me. But that's just me. :)

Reaction score
Personally, I still like to read on my kindle better than ipad for regular ebooks..specially sitting outside....that said.. reading newspaper and magazines on ipad is a great experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!

The iPhone/iPod touch is not the iPad. The screen technology is different, and of course the size. I was not a huge fan of reading on my iPhone, I used the Sony Reader more, but the iPad is much better. like I said I sold the Sony already.

I have been reading ebooks for 10 years, nearly 8 years on portable devices. And for Me the the iPad is the best ebook reading device I have ever used. There are lots of Kindles and Sony readers for sale right now used, because of the iPad.

Reaction score
You know folks, the e-readers portion is going to be a personal choice . The IPad may be great for some but others may find that an e-reader is best. Everyones body is different and how they are going to use the device will also differ. The IPad is a cool device just not for me but if you like it and it works well for you, great, enjoy it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Not trying to diminish or dismiss your rationale, but if you're sitting around reading -- anything, even paper books -- in direct sunlight, this is ill-advised.

You should be doing your beach reading in the shade, both for the sake of your skin health as well as your eye health.

I agree look after your skin as well as your ipad.

But I have a question.
How would an ipad fare when used in a busy commercial kitchen where the temps can get around 40C to 50C? I work in that enviroment for a job as a chef and would like to know could I use an ipad a tool to help me with my job or would the ipad being in that environment just fry the circuitry?

Reaction score
I agree look after your skin as well as your ipad.

LOL, I live on Cape Cod. It is too dang cold to be out there in skivvies yet. I like to go to the beach (jeans and a light jacket) to relax and simply read with the ocean in front of me. A glass of wine makes it even better.... ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
But I have a question.
How would an ipad fare when used in a busy commercial kitchen where the temps can get around 40C to 50C? I work in that enviroment for a job as a chef and would like to know could I use an ipad a tool to help me with my job or would the ipad being in that environment just fry the circuitry?

I don't know about the heat build up, but I suspect you'll want to put it in a ziplock bag to protect it from spills. I tried this with my iPhone and it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Good idea and oil splatters and the like. But I'll put a thermometer in the bag first to see how hot the inside of the bag gets during service.

C

chas_m

Because of various other factors (oil, contaminants, presence of water and water vapour, high risk of breakage) as WELL as the heat, I would strongly rethink that idea. The iPad would be QUITE unsuitable for long-term exposure in such an environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(oil, contaminants, presence of water and water vapour, high risk of breakage) as WELL as the heat

All things Apple's warranty does not cover. Seems you have a point. Keep the ipad out of the kitchen. In that case all the "help me to cook" apps would be rather useless on an ipad :).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All things Apple's warranty does not cover. Seems you have a point. Keep the ipad out of the kitchen. In that case all the "help me to cook" apps would be rather useless on an ipad :).

Well, there's a big big difference between the typical home kitchen and commercial kitchens.

Haven't used it in the kitchen yet. But I've already got Epicurious downloaded, have trimmed the cover so it fits in the dock now and am sure that I will.

And that anti-glare / oil resistant screen I put on it has been the best money spent on the thing so far.
Went from having to wipe fingerprints off once every 30-60 minutes to once in the last 2 weeks.
And if that oleowhatever coating is anti-fingerprint, I can't even imagine what it'd be like without that coating.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
And that anti-glare / oil resistant screen I put on it has been the best money spent on the thing so far.
Went from having to wipe fingerprints off once every 30-60 minutes to once in the last 2 weeks.
And if that oleowhatever coating is anti-fingerprint, I can't even imagine what it'd be like without that coating.
Tracing posts back to see if you said which screen you got and didn't see one.
Sounds like you would reccomend yours, model and price?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.