how to remove windows from mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just installed windows XP on my Macbook using «boot camp». However, my hard drive wasn't partitioned somehow. I couldn't quit the installation once it started. Now I have only Windows XP installed on my Macbook hard drive. No more Mac OS X because the disk was formatted. I can't reboot mac when the Mac OS X is inserted. How to remove Windows XP and install the Mac OS X back? Help somebody!

drareg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Using the original install CD, open disk utility. Then erase/re-partition the drive accordingly and install OS X on the desired partition. I hope you had your HD backed up somewhere...

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh! When the original install CD is inserted, there is not response. the whole Mac hard drive has been reformatted with Window XP. When inserting the Windows XP CD, I see no way to uninstall it without reinstalling it again.

Drareg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac C2D, 3.33Ghz, 8mb Ram; 24" iMac, 2.66Ghz, 4mb Ram; 14" iBook
If you put your original OS X Install DVD in the CD/DVD drive, restart holding down the 'C' key until you hear the Mac booting from the CD/DVD drive it should (hopefully) boot into OS X. At the first screen select your language and at the next screen go to the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility and reformat and partition the drive and then you should be able to proceed to a re-install of OS X.
As blackmac11 says, I hope you've got a back-up from before it all went pear-shaped as reformatting is obviously going to delete anything on the drive, if it hasn't been deleted already.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh! When the original install CD is inserted, there is not response. the whole Mac hard drive has been reformatted with Window XP. When inserting the Windows XP CD, I see no way to uninstall it without reinstalling it again.

Drareg

If your whole hard drive was formatted with Windows XP (No Macintosh partition)...then I would say that you need to start all over.

1. Get out your Mac OS install disk
2. Format the Macintosh hard drive (for Macintosh use).
3. Install the Macintosh OS.

At this point you can start the Windows XP via bootcamp install.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.