Newbie question- alias to Hard Disk Drive?

Reaction score
I have a new mac pro (yeah!) and am setting it up. I added two drives, each is 1 TB and partitioned them.

I can create an alias to a file easily, but there appears to be no way to create an alias to a disk drive. I would would like a desktop shortcut to some partitions "photos" and "videos" and so on. These are not folders but are the names of disk partitions.

Can this be done and if so how?

OP
J
Reaction score
anyone?

someone? anyone?
I am able to creat an alias from the drop down menu for a file or directory but the alias option is absent when you are on a disk drive or partition.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hold down the option and command key, then drag the icon from the right side of the Finder window to the new location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You do not have to create an alias to a volume. You can set volumes to appear on the desktop automatically in the Finder's preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
someone? anyone?
I am able to creat an alias from the drop down menu for a file or directory but the alias option is absent when you are on a disk drive or partition.

Good grief! You waited all of 46 minutes before bumping, which, by the way, is discouraged.

I have the Make Alias option when I right click on my disk drive icon...

OP
J
Reaction score
ladybugs election

Good grief! You waited all of 46 minutes before bumping, which, by the way, is discouraged.

I have the Make Alias option when I right click on my disk drive icon...

I bumped after 3 days and no replies, not 46 minutes.

I am using an apple mouse and there is no right click as far as I can tell; and the two buttons on the side of the mouse don't appear to do anything. But I'll figure all that out in due course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Oh yeah, 3 days and 46 minutes. My bad.

Control-click does the same as a right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Also if it is a magic mouse, you can set multi-touch gestures, so you should be able to tell it that a 2 finger click is a right click. If it's a might mouse, then just click with your right finger. Should also work that way on Magic Mouse.

OP
J
Reaction score
solved

Just stumbled onto my old post.

The way to do this is to set the finder preferences to show the disk drives.

After they are shown, you can create an alias by right clicking or its equivalent.

Then you reset the finder preferences to not show the drives anymore. The drives go away but your alias remains.

This is useful if you (like me) have a lot of of disk drives and you want to show some but not all of them on your desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.