iChat to AIM from US to Japan...voice chat help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
I am currently trying to Voice Chat with a friend of mine in Japan. She is using a PC, and has AOL IM, Yahoo Messenger, and MSN Messenger installed. I have installed all three of these on my iBook running OS X 10.3.9, and I have v2.1 of iChat AV. We'd like to voice chat, and supposedly it should work, however, there seems to be a problem.

Whether at work or at home, I cannot see the Telephone icon next to her name in iChat. In AOL IM, there is no option to voice chat with her. Yahoo IM and it appears, MSN Mess don't have cross platform voice chat options.

iChat should work from iChat to AIM. I see the telephone icon available for many friends who use iChat and AIM, both in the US and outside of it. Is there some option she needs to enable to use voice chat? I am using an iBook, connected to my DSL through an Airport Wireless connection. I should already have the default ports programmed open in my DSL router, otherwise I wouldn't be able to voice chat, right? (I have used voice chat with a friend in Oklahoma. He has a Mac with OS X 10.3.9 and iChat, and it works) Is there anyone here who has used this kind of a setup between the US and Japan?

M

mattberry

I don't know about that. But if you want to voice chat. Skype is a great choice.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I have a friend in Japan as well and we can't get the video or audio chat to work. We tried it here before leaving and it worked but now it isn't. I was hoping that maybe you have figured out the problem. Or someone might be able to help. I didn't see any replies so I'm not sure... Let me know... Thanks

OP
DakRoland
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 120Gb HD, 2Gb Ram, OS 10.4.11/PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 500Gb HD
I pretty much gave up and switched to Skype. It really never gave me many problems at all. Plus, it's free. The catch is, you have to have broadband on both ends (Which isn't that much of a problem in Japan, as Broadband seems to be pretty much everywhere.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My ex is having the same problem. She has a 14" 1.2GHz iBook running 10.3.9. She couldn't connect to AIM through iChat or AIM messenger and voice chat.
I will have to let her know about Skype.

Reaction score
My ex is having the same problem. She has a 14" 1.2GHz iBook running 10.3.9. She couldn't connect to AIM through iChat or AIM messenger and voice chat.
I will have to let her know about Skype.

hmmmmm why is ichatg having so many probs ugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.