will apple care cover me for lifting by screen and breaking it?

Reaction score
hi guys, i've just signed up to see if anyone has any clues to whether or not applecare will replace my screen.

stupidly, i've been picking up my macbook by grabbing the top of the screen where the webcam is. eventually my screen got two big diagonal cracks running from the top centre to the bottom corners.

i know that apple care won't cover accidental damage, but is there some kind of way i can get away with this?

what i mean is, do apple actually tell you not to lift the macbook by the screen?

if i just play ignorant and claim that i wasn't told that there was a specific way to lift it do you think i can get apple to take the blame for it and fix it for free?

i know it's a very long shot, but i really can't afford the repair cost.

any advice anyone could give me i would really really appreciate.

daniel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all, what you are implying is dishonest. And quite truthfully, the folks at the genius bar have seen just about everything. It would take them about 10 seconds or less to tell that it wasn't something that just happened by itself.

You need to dig in your wallet and think about paying to have the screen replaced. You can even do the job by yourself and save $$$.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and price a new replacement screen and while you're there, look up their step by step procedure for changing one out.

Do the right thing.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
So we should pay for your lack of common sense via higher eventual prices?

No thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You want apple to cover your mistake because you lack common sense?? Seriously? NO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I would think you would be a little more carful with a $1000+ investment. Save yourself a trip to the apple store, and take the advise given above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Seriously? What ever possessed you to think that picking it up by the screen was a good idea or an even remotely acceptable thing to do even once to your computer?

/facepalm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.