Sudden Shutdown without warning, previous shutdown code: -2

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've had my MBP since Oct of 2007. About 2 weeks ago it would not turn on so I had the logic board replaced. After I got it back it would randomly shut down, the only solution I could do is take out the battery and work at the lower clockspeed but it still shut down without warning, just less frequently. I thought it might be the power cord or the battery so I got those replaced but it is still happening. The first day I had the battery (yesterday) it worked fine, no random shutdowns, I calibrated the battery per apple instructions and today it worked great (during charge up and plugged in at full charge) for about 5 hours, then it shut down, I turned it back on and it shut down shortly after, I reset the SMC by taking out the battery and holding down the power button and putting it back in and it shut down again, then I tried to run the hardware test and it shut down again so now I am posting this out of frustration. I also reset the pram and it shut down again. Now it won't stay on for more than getting through the login screen. I don't have applecare but they replaced the logic board for no cost (which I don't fully understand), I'd rather not take it back but I will if you guys have no ideas. I looked up (with difficulty) the previous shutdown code: -2 (Mac Error Codes) and it said it was a "General System Error (VBL Mgr, Queue) -2 vTypErr invalid queue element" but I have no idea what that means.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions, do you think it would help if I reinstalled the operating system? I really don't want to buy another computer or pay more to fix this one.

Thanks!
Scott

MacBookPro3,1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sudden shutdowns are usually related to either: Power supply fluctuations - defective filtering in the PS (bad capacitors), or overheating. If the unit overheats, sensors will shut it down. That can happen rather rapidly if for example the fans quit or the CPU has come loose from its heat sink.

The best thing to do is as McYukon advises and take it on in to the genius bar at your local Apple store. You may get lucky and have it repaired for free since they changed out the logic board previously.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Be aware once the Logic board has been replaced there is a 3 month window where they will probably sort it but take in after 3 months and its on your penny.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.