Have dock not always in front of windows?

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the Dock on Snow Leopard. What I want to be able to due is similar to autohide, but not exactly the same

What I want to do is have my windows (firefox, finder windows, etc) able to appear in front of the dock, and then when i bring the mouse cursor over to the left (I have my dock on the left side) have the dock come back to the front. Is this possible? I remember when I was using rocketdock for windows I was able to do this, and I kind of miss that feature.

Basically, I want the dock to not always be on top of everything, But I don't want to auto hide it either....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Think about what you're asking. It's pretty difficult to pull that off! Basically, you want other windows to be in front of the Dock until you move your mouse to the area of that window that overlaps the Dock. Then you want the Dock to come to the front, while your cursor is still appearing in the other window. Nope.

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't think its that much out of the realm of possibility, like i said I used to have it in windows with rivatuner.

Basically I want it to act like a window. If you have two windows overlapping, you click the one in the back and it comes in front. You click the other, the other one comes in front. I want the dock to be able to do the same thing only that it comes to the front when you go near the edge of it (where if it was in autohide it would come up). Then after it comes to front, I can just click another window and the window comes back to front.

Even if i could just get it to act like a window i would be happy, where its not always on top

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't understand how what you want isn't already done via auto hide.

Other windows in front when they're up, when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen dock is in front.
Except now you don't have to click on another window for it to return to the front, you only move the mouse away.

OP
A
Reaction score
Don't understand how what you want isn't already done via auto hide.

Other windows in front when they're up, when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen dock is in front.

But i also want it to be there when my window is not taking up the full screen or if i have multiple small windows that are not taking up the full screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But it is there. You can't use it without moving your mouse down to it. So you just have to move the cursor another half-inch to get it to appear. What's the big deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
One of the great things about OS X vs. Windows is that OS X isn't burdened with overly complicated, needless features. What you are asking for is wholly pointless. Just because it "can" be done doesn't mean it should be. The only other practical solution to what you are looking to do is take advantage of the hotkey to toggle the Dock's show/hide status: OPT-CMD-D. If it's in your way, hide it. You can easily map that command to a mouse button or F-key using USB Overdrive or the Keyboard utility in System Preferences.

OP
A
Reaction score
Some people don't put there dock on autohide because they want to see what they have open 24/7. What i'm I want imo is much better than autohide. When you don't have windows taking up the whole screen, you can see it. When you have a window taking up the whole screen, you don't see it unless you go to the edge of the screen. It's the best of both worlds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Some people don't put there dock on autohide because they want to see what they have open 24/7. What i'm I want imo is much better than autohide. When you don't have windows taking up the whole screen, you can see it. When you have a window taking up the whole screen, you don't see it unless you go to the edge of the screen. It's the best of both worlds

It doesn't matter what your preference is… it doesn't work that way. Tell you what… here are your options:

1: Send an email Steve Jobs and ask him to tell his team to fix this for you. Good luck with that.

2: Learn how to code software for OS X and develop yourself some sort of haxie or other mod to add this behavior.

3: Accept it as the way it is and adjust your usage expectations.

4: Switch back to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why not give LaunchBar a try out - then you can forget the dock and use all the screen Real Estate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.