partition HD for mac/windows

Reaction score
I have a hard drive that i need to be partitioned for both windows and mac, is that possible and if so...how??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
A bit more detail will help ...
OS Version ?
Internal or external disk ?

Are you referring to a disk you want to share between OS X machines and Windows machines ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
external hd. os X 10.6, and pretty much any windows for the other half

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
So are you saying you want to use your external HDD on Windows and in Mac?? If so, you have two options:

1. Format the external HDD to FAT32, which will be able to run in Windows and OSX.

2. Format the external HDD to NTFS, which you can use in Windows and Mac (after some tweaking).

NTFS is more stable and works better with larger volume sizes where FAT32 works better with small volume sizes like a USB stick.

There is a way to enable use of NTFS natively in OSX. Just google "NTFS native osx". And there is another way by using NTFS-3G and MacFUSE. Google them too.

Just read up properly on it first. There are plenty of articles around so I don't feel the need to post a massive post with instructions....

Hope it gives you some insight.

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
OR...

Format the drive from your Mac to HFS+ and then install MacDrive on the Windows machine. Here's the link:

Mediafour | MacDrive.

Then you can read and write to the HFS+ drive on your Windows machine and still obviously use it on your Mac.

All the best. I'm sure there will be other suggestions, maybe even better ones. I think you can also format the external HDD to one partition of NTFS and one partition of HFS+. But read up on that more...

-Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.