boot from macos cd?

Reaction score
hello, my macbookpro is having startup problems and stays on grayscreen with apple logo... Is it nsafe to try and boot from the install cd holding down C?
I ask this because it asks me to install the OS and I don't want to mess my drive and its contents.
please any answers would be appreciated very much

C

chas_m

"Is it safe?" Yes.

"It asks me to install the OS and I don't want to mess my drive and its contents."

Apparently your drive is already "messed," but you are wise to stop there. You're right that you COULD lose data.

If you are on Tiger or Leopard, you can do an "archive and install" which will not disturb your data. If you are on Snow Leopard you don't really have this option.

It should go without saying -- but I'll say it anyway -- that what you should really be doing is finding a way to back up your data. The hard drive could be failing.

If you're not using Time Machine already, first kick yourself and then take it to an Apple Authorised service place so they can do the backup for you. They will also test the HD to make sure its not failing.

Once a backup is done, you can do a fresh install of the system and restore from your backup (if necessary).

The main thing here is that we (nor you) actually know what is the root cause of your problem yet, so my advice is to a) backup and b) let a tech tell you what's really going on.

OP
B
Reaction score
thank you so much

want to backup the drive, but how? since it won't run how can i copy it using another computer?
anyway thank you for the quick responce... I should have backed up $#@$#@^$@^stupid !!
the drive is probably failing, so I called a mac certified tech shop and will have it fitted with a new drive, they are positive about transferring the complete data and helping me backup to external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Indeed the time to back up, and preferably to an external drive, is whilst things are going well using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner,. and then a weekly or so up date. Good luck getting that info off the failing drive! Have you tried booting from the install DVD, going to Utilities and running Repair Disk to see what is reported?

OP
B
Reaction score
tried to boot from the installdisc and let disc utility do a repair disc and it reported that my disc seemes tobe fine...

OP
B
Reaction score
a clue how to extract from failing drive

thanx for the tips you guys, tried Disk Utility off the DVD but it found no errors. It shows up as a start up disk without errors but just will not boot.
I want to save the data that is on the drive otherwise i would try to install a new system, anyone have a clue how to extract data from failing drive... The tech guys that will help me say it is 99% possible to copy the complete drive onto a new drive...
thank for all response, highly appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the drive will not boot, it has a problem and should be replaced. In order to extract data from the drive, you can remove it and place it in an external carrier or use an adapter to attach it to a working Mac. Use the working Mac to copy the data from the drive. Of course that depends on whether or not the drive is working good enough so that data can be copied from it.

Another way is to hook your Mac to another Mac via Target Disk Mode. That would be hooking them together via a firewire cable - assuming both machines have FW ports. The good Mac can then be used to access the bad HD (maybe).

And then there is software. Data Rescue 3.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.