Saving files!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

sometime ago I did try to save few files on my desktop - to me it looked like they were not saved!

Later on, I discovered that they were saved somehow on my "download" folder, I never pre-selected anything till' now.

How did this happen?

Also, having PDF files with the same file name, and date plus the same numbers in front of the word "PDF" does this mean there are several copies of the same file on my system?

Reaction score
The default location that Safari, for example, saves any downloaded files is the DOWNLOADS folder. If you want it to save on your desktop, like myself, just change the location to Desktop in Preferences.

Also, if I am not wrong, duplicated files are automatically named at such:

filename, filename 2, filename 3, filename 4, so on and so forth.

If it is a duplicate, then there'd be a numbering system.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And if the files are located in different folders they would not have the above numbering system, and yes, they could be duplicates or they could be different. Only you will be able to know by opening them to find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Also, if I am not wrong, duplicated files are automatically named at such:

filename, filename 2, filename 3, filename 4, so on and so forth.

If it is a duplicate, then there'd be a numbering system.

Very close. You left out filename1, which would be the second one in the series.

How did this happen?
You probably used SaveAs. The save dialog box will tell you where it's going to be saved. Scrutinize it carefully before you click OK. If you don't see a folder "tree" structure in the bottom half of the dialog, click on the arrowhead symbol (triangle) next to the box where the name of the file to be saved is located.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thanks for the inputs.

Is this the same or FF as it is with Safari?

What the best and fastest way on a Mac to locate duplicated files i.e. same content but with differing file names other than going through each file 1-1...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Firefox behaves the same as Safari in that regard.

I've seen your second question in one of your other threads. It's really not a good idea to repeat yourself. The answers get disjointed. But, here goes...
All I can think of is to compare sizes, then use QuickLook to verify content. Yeah, two at a time. :(

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving Files!

Yes, Firefox behaves the same as Safari in that regard.

I've seen your second question in one of your other threads. It's really not a good idea to repeat yourself. The answers get disjointed. But, here goes...
All I can think of is to compare sizes, then use QuickLook to verify content. Yeah, two at a time. :(

Hi Tomacsh,

thank you for your reply.

It was not my intention to double post the same kind of question on differing forum sections at the same time. I do usually research the topic, and only if I cant locate a solution to my issue than only do I post about the issue!

But at times the site search function, isnt that useful/helpful to locate topics related to a specific topic!

Anyhow, I most likely didnt get a proper suggestion(s), thats why I most likely posted a similar but new question on the forum!

As to file details I have a question; on windows if you hoover over with your mouse you can get basic details such as file size/creation date etc, with MAC you cant get that kind of details in that way! Is there a similar way to get basic file details on a Mac?

Excuse me; still a Mac newbie & learning...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...depends on your definition of similar.

Single click to highlight the file, then Get Info. There are multiple ways of doing that:
File Menu > Get Info
Command-I on the keyboard
Get Info button in the toolbar of the finder window

If you don't have that button, or a toolbar, you can reveal them by:
toolbar - click the oval in the upper right
button - right click (or control-click) near the title and choose Customize Toolbar... A drop down window appears. Drag the Get Info button to the Toolbar.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thank you for the info's - it responded to two issues that I highlighted recently.

Reaction score
Why wouldn't recipients be able to open a file that I converted to pdf

I searched this topic but didn't find an answer to my question. I sent about a 25 page document that i saved in pdf and many recipients couldn't open. One said it opened with adobe. One of the pages as a jpg would that cause I problem in converting to pdf?
:[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.