What is 'traceroute'?

• Thread starter leelovesbikesto
  • Start date
L

leelovesbikesto

I use Little Snitch to alert me of outgoing communications from my G4 to the net. A few times per day I get a request from 'traceroute' to connect to an IP adsress - What is this?

I'm sorry i do not have any more information, but I will update this thread when the dialogue appears again.

The connection is a corporate Windows network.

Lee

OP
K

Kokopelli

traceroute is a command line program to, intuitively enough, trace the route (hops) to a remote address. It won't trigger itself automatically so I would guess it is a scheduled call from some application, cron, or launchd.

OP
L

leelovesbikesto

Kokopelli said:
traceroute is a command line program to, intuitively enough, trace the route (hops) to a remote address. It won't trigger itself automatically so I would guess it is a scheduled call from some application, cron, or launchd.

Is there any way to trace where the program came from, or is it a generic program for any app? I'm suspicious about programs phoning home!

OP
K

Kokopelli

Not easily. If you catch it while it is active you can look in actvity monitor using "All Processes, Heirarchically".

Other than that I can't say, sorry. Little Snitch might hold the request so you might be able to check while it is asking if you will allow it. I am not sure since I do not use Little Snitch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.