Excel Spread Sheet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

is there an application similar to "Excel Spread Sheet" for Mac OS?

Reaction score
Numbers. It is part of iWork. I'm a fan of iWork, but I work mostly on Pages and Keynote. I'm not sure how Excel compares to Numbers, but I suppose it is a decent alternative for the most part.

It gets the job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
How about Excel, part of Office for Mac?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Pages & Keynotes", are these similar applications to iWorks?

If so, what are your user experiences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pages and Keynote are applications included in the iWork suite.

Pages is the word processor.
Keynote is for presentations; think Windows' PowerPoint.

My experience: I use Office for Mac.

P.S. I see you have several other threads. I agree with your approach: one question per thread, each with a title that describes the issue. Kudos!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi toMACsh/PsYkOoOoO,

thank you for both of your inputs.

tomacsh, thank you for your support regarding each threads being based on one issue. But than there are others, who complain why I have posted a similar question on a different section!

What else can you do, if an issue is related to few topics or if one doesnt get enough useful responses to a thread!

Just a newbie, trying to figure out what Mac is all about...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
There are spreadsheets in NeoOffice and OpenOffice too. Both are free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It depends on exactly what you want to do. Biggest question is, will you be exchanging data with people using MS Office on Windows?

Numbers is *OK* but out of the three iWork apps, it's easily the weakest. It not not very compatible with Excel - data usually comes across OK, so do most forumlae (although sometimes it's does weird stuff with rounding) but charts usually get wrecked and when you send things back, it's even worse.

Neo Office is better, but often drops hyperlinks messes up indirect cell formatting and conditional formatting (where offsheet data determins the format). Numbers messes up conditional formatting as well.

Excel in Office 2008 works really well if you're exchanging xlsx files, almost everything is perfect... except any VB or Macros. Office 2004 Excel is surprisingly the most compatible, but it'll run like treacle on Intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tomacsh, thank you for your support regarding each threads being based on one issue. But than there are others, who complain why I have posted a similar question on a different section!

What else can you do, if an issue is related to few topics or if one doesnt get enough useful responses to a thread!

I think that was me also! If you don't get useful responses, then no one knows the answer. Try to provide more information if possible, in the same thread. I think that will be more effective. I wasn't complaining actually, more advising. :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

Thank you for the details speacial thanks go to Zoolook for the useful evaluation - makes it that much more user geared...!

Sawday, would you be able to give some user experience that you also had with "spreadsheets in NeoOffice and OpenOffice" maybe compared to what Zoolook experienced?

Well, I need to process tables most often through formulas, with pictures/images!

What I need is something, that is easy to handle, simple and compatible.

As I receive spreadsheets they, will be either from Mac and Windows users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Office 2004 Excel is surprisingly the most compatible, but it'll run like treacle on Intel.

As long as the VB macros are written on the Windows side to the level of Excel 97 (VB 5); whereas Excel 2000, 2002, 2003 uses VB 6. So it is still a very frustrating situation. I know I had to test on the Mac (XL 2004) VB macros written for XL 2002/2003. Not easy, much of the functionality is lost, including VB Forms, etc.

If I were to be using Excel every day exchanging files, I would use Fusion/Parallels and use the Windows version.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Shades,

thanks for your comments...!

If I knew, what kind of spreadsheet files I will be exchanging, I could at least try to grasp the basics of one or two versions!

Most often people dont tell me what kind of spreadsheet software they are using, with a few its not so easy to catch up with to prepare/process at advanced level functional i.e. spreadsheets!

I am trying to figure out which is the most userfreindly, that can be used on Mac OS/Windows OS, both for the one who prepares and to those who need to go through/process such files. Therefore, I am considering to demand in the future only one software version as such that are compatible on MAC OS/Window OS!

Getting really tired to spend much time to locate missing tabs, form sections turning into strange puzzles etc

In your experience which spreadsheet version that can be used on Mac/Window, is the most functional incl. secure) but also the most userfriendly version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Office 2004 Excel is surprisingly the most compatible, but it'll run like treacle on Intel.
I use it on my Intel Mac. I don't find it slow. There are a few data entry glitches which cause it to not accept my typing. The solution is to save the file from the menu (can't keyboard it when it gets stuck) and then proceed to type.

In your experience which spreadsheet version that can be used on Mac/Window, is the most functional incl. secure) but also the most userfriendly version?
Office 2004 Excel.
Office 2011 is due out for Christmas this year.

Reaction score
I use it on my Intel Mac. I don't find it slow. There are a few data entry glitches which cause it to not accept my typing. The solution is to save the file from the menu (can't keyboard it when it gets stuck) and then proceed to type.

Office 2004 Excel.
Office 2011 is due out for Christmas this year.

Will Office 2011 for Mac have Visual Basic in Excel?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.