External Modem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
I have an external USB modem that is working just fine on the WinXP partition. When I switch over to the MacOS side, it is recognized in the systems files but I cannot find where I configure it, put in my ISP or connect. I do have Bluetooth and know nothing about it, FireWire, which I also know nothing about. I saw PPP in there somewhere but can't find it again. The connectivity assistant is no help at all because the page where it says something along the line of I connect using a dial-up modem. I don't have DSL where I live yet. The modem isn't "on", there is no red light like when it is in here (XP). I need some suggestions!! Thanks!

Jann :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Look in System Preferences. Your other posts suggest to me that the Mini is 2006 or later, as it will operate OS 10.6 (with which I'm not familiar - I'm referring to OS 10.4/Tiger).

SysPrefs > Network > Network Status. Hopefully you'll find reference there to Show > Modem > TCP/IP and Modem. See if you can configure your present USB modem from there.

Mactracker tells me that your model of Mini can use an external optional Apple USB Modem (MA034Z/A). I'm not sure the USB modem you've got working with Win will cooperate with the MacOS, which is why you don't see an 'operating' light.

Come back to us later about firewire and bluetooth.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
USB modem

Thank you! I will get back to you. I will have to wait until I turn of box off to see if I can get the year. Going through all the files he left on here from his installations that he didn't need to remove, it seems to be 2008. Don't know why that should make a difference, but you guys know more than I do about Mac Mini!

The thing is, when I go through the system files, my modem is in the hardware >
Device Manager and I know it has to be mine, because he is strictly DSL, Wireless, etc.

I need more coffee before I tackle Bluetooth and Firewire. Back in a bit!

Jann:D

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
modem

I tried something and it worked, somewhat. Instead of shutting down, I restarted then went into MacOS. The modem stayed lit. Everywhere there is a place to select modem, it is grayed out. I turned off Airport. No luck. Now, in one place there is room for a DNS entry. I know IP address and it is static.

Let me run this by you: He had this box on his office network. Could it be he forgot to undo that? I know next to nothing about networking computers. Well, I do but not enough to fix this.

Now, since the MacOS does recognize my external modem, off or on, in hardware, perhaps I need to download the Mac drivers? OR do I need to purchase an external Mac modem? Somewhere, I saw a reference to one.

Jann

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do rainbows

Okay, here are the specs for the internal Bluetooth module:
Outgoing-port 1
Bluetooth Modem RFComm Channel 0
Now the Firewire specs:
Firewire 400mg sec Bus

In the USB contents:
PS/2 to USB converter
USP opt mouse
USB-Bluetooth USB Host Controller
IR receiver
USB HighSpeed Bus
Agere USB 2.0 V.92 SoftModem (which is my modem stick)

So the Bluetooth and the Firewire are internal. I will learn how to use Bluetooth and I suspect Firewire will activate when I connect to the net.

Another thing; Everything in the system/files etc has no dates before 2008. So I assume that is how new this is.

Jann:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
First up - click the blue apple in the top left corner and select About This Mac (I think that's still included in OS 10.6). Then click More Info, which will open System Profiler. Then click Hardware (right at the top of Contents). From the Hardware Overview provided you should find Machine Model and Serial numbers.

Once you have that info, use Mactracker http://mactracker.ca/ to get all the data you ever wanted (and some you didn't) about every Mac ever made.

According to Mactracker, there is no 2008 model of Mini, but we can probably assume that yours is a mid 2007 model.

Re network - I can't be certain without further info, but I think we can assume that the Mini will work alone.

Re Apple modem - Amazon.com: Apple MA034Z/A External V.2 USB Modem: Electronics (you won't like the price!) These modems are no longer made.

What brand of modem do you presently have? Recognition in hardware may not signify that it will work with MacOS (I have a similar situation with digital camera and data cable). However, we may be able to find a driver or emulator for your modem.

Update since your most recent post:
Firewire and the internet are not related. Firewire is a means of connecting via cable external devices like hard drives, optical drives, another computer, etc. The fact that it's 400 Mbps tells me that your Mini is indeed 2007 (the next, in 09, had FW800).
Modem - Download HP Compaq nw8240 Agere Modem Driver 2.1.51.00 from here http://downloadnew.org/drivers/modem/hp-compaq-nw8240-agere-modem-driver-107773.html Read carefully the info about which OS are supported.
Bluetooth - I'll leave detail of that to others, but suffice to say that it is a means of wireless interconnection between devices like a keyboard, a mouse, also a modem (but yours is USB). This might assist you http://gizmodo.com/027755/bluetooth-dial+up-modem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read that last post before you did this one. Agere is the name and it is a v92 and whatever else I put up there. I will go to MacTracker. The model and serial number is on the back, however. Will be interesting to know about this particular mac!!

Editing this to include what I found out with MacTracker. This is a late 2006 model and has had the OS upgraded. I believe that was the first time Bluetooth and Firewire modules were added. There was only one place to add my Serial Number, no place for the model number. I thought adding the information would have MacTracker looking for exact uses, etc for my mac mini. I will try to find out more later in the day.

Thank you

Jann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.