X11 and Matlab

M

Michaelangelo

I have a 12 inch Powerbook with Panther, and I'm ever so happy with it. However, I have a copy of Matlab (which I've ever so cleverly called Maclab...) and I can't get things to work properly.

The installation prompts tell me to install X11 off the OSX CD. So I put it in and installed all the extra packages, which I thought contained X11. But when I looked in applications/utilities (where I was told it should be), it's not there. So I opened the X11SPK package on the cd and it again seemed to install fine, yet I get the same result.

When I try to open Maclab, the icon in the dock just bounces up and down for a minute or so, then does nothing.

Any ideas?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Did you find the X11 application in the application folder? also what version of the OS are you running?

OP
M

Michaelangelo

Crisis averted. I found the proper X11 download on the Apple site. All working fine now.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happy to see to you resolved the problem. :)

OP
B

badmojo

Michaelangelo said:
Crisis averted. I found the proper X11 download on the Apple site. All working fine now.

I need this too. Could you please post a link to the X11 download from Apple's site. I cannot seem to find it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R

royz86

rman said:
Did you find the X11 application in the application folder? also what version of the OS are you running?
Hi, I also have the same problem, the icon bounces in the dock then disappeared, while X11 icon appeared in the dock. I am using OSX 10.4 Tiger with Matlab 7.0.1 Student Edition. I have X11 in the Utilities folder. Anyone can help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi, I also have the same problem, the icon bounces in the dock then disappeared, while X11 icon appeared in the dock. I am using OSX 10.4 Tiger with Matlab 7.0.1 Student Edition. I have X11 in the Utilities folder. Anyone can help?

I am also using OSX 10.4 Tiger and am trying to run Matlab R2006b from Mathworks. I downloaded the X11SDK.pkg from the installer disk that came with the MAC. It said the software installed successfully but X11 does not show up in the Applications/Utilities folder. When I try to download Matlab it says it cant find X11 and it is necessary for Matlab to run. Is there another package perhaps that I should be downloading off the installer disk that will install X11 properly? Seems like X11SDK should be the one and it says it was installed, even tried it a 2nd time and it installed succesfully again. If someone knows a site where I could download the correct X11 for matlab to run successfully, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

Reaction score
G'day cwolf & welcome to Mac-Forums.

This is where X11 resides on the install disc:

Mac OS X Install Disc 1>System>Installation>Packages>X11User.pkg

Or see post #6 ^^^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G'day cwolf & welcome to Mac-Forums.

This is where X11 resides on the install disc:

Mac OS X Install Disc 1>System>Installation>Packages>X11User.pkg

Or see post #6 ^^^^

Thanks Pulse for your reply. I am still in a bit of a quandary though. The only X11 package that resides on the install disc I recieved with the MacBook Pro was X11SDK.pkg, which appears to have installed properly. In regards to rmans Post #6: which gave a link to a X11 version on the Apple site, I had already tried downloading that version but in the end it told me that I already had a newer version of X11 installed on my computer. This makes sense since I had downloaded the X11SDK.pkg already and it said it was properly installed. Its perplexing because by most accounts I have X11 installed but it is not showing up in utilities and when I try to download Matlab it says it cant find it. Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, cwolf!

From Matlab's webpage, the system requirements don't list any Intel-based Macs in the list. Unless Matlab can run under Rosetta, the only alternative you have could be to wait a Universal Binary version of the app.

Edited to add:

According to Matlab FAQ, you need specific versions of Matlab to run on your MacBook Pro and that is a beta version. Is this the one you are using now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help guys. Due to my own lack of thoroughness, I missed the correct X11 pkg on the install disk. I hadnt scrolled down to the bottom folders, so I did find X11usr.pkg on the install disk. I installed it, I did get X11 in utitlites and Matlab appears to have installed properly. I was given the matlab install disks by someone in our group and I assume it was the beta version, but I will double check on that. I assume that since the install went smoothly that it is compatible. Now I will just have to get up to speed on matlab and start using it. Thanks again all.
Carl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.