ibook ram upgrade problem

Reaction score
Ok so the old g4 ibook is still chugging along, its the 1.42ghz model. I just bought 1gb Ram for it - Transcend 1gb, 200p DDR 333 SODIMM (PC2700 / 64mx8 / 2.5-3-3). Which should fit in the empty slot?

I've followed tutorials and It just won't fit in. Very frustrating as I have read reviews on this product from others with G4 ibooks who say this exact ram fits in their machine and works fine. It's my first time doing this so most likely i'm making a stupid mistake? Here are some photos of where i'm at:

This pic shows the ram not sitting flush, still on an angle
ram1.jpg

This one shows the pins on the side just being forced outwards, with the ram not wanting to go in any further
ram3.jpg

ram2.jpg

I would rather have bought cruicial or another brand but I live on the other side of the world and didnt want to wait weeks for it to arrive.

For a comaprision, these are the specs for the cruicial ram that is suited to my machine: (i notice the meg specs are different, could that be the problem?)
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64

Any help would be much appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have a 14" iBook G4 1.42Ghz?

Are you angling the RAM in or trying to just push it straight in sideways like in the pic? The RAM has to be at an angle, then seated all the way in the slot then pushed down till the locks click. Just being sure.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah I pushed it in on the angle (followed tutorial exactly) then when I go to push it down to snap into place, it just kinda gets caught half way and just looks as though it's the wrong size or something?

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
From the pictures, it basically looks as though you haven't pushed them in far enough to seat them while at the 30˚ angle before pushing down to lock them in!

OP
B
Reaction score
You're both right! ok, I didnt think you had to push that hard, I felt as though I was forcing it, but then it just popped in.

Feeling stupid now but thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Better to check here first and feel a bit foolish than have a broken laptop in one hand and broken RAM in the other :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You're both right! ok, I didnt think you had to push that hard, I felt as though I was forcing it, but then it just popped in.

Feeling stupid now but thanks for the help!

Pleasure.... and stupid would be something more along the lines of using a hammer to force them in, or even more stupid than that ....using your laptop in the shower :D

Better to check here first and feel a bit foolish than have a broken laptop in one hand and broken RAM in the other :)

Too true .... and I just had a visual of a person holding the laptop in one hand with the pins on the floor, and the RAM in the other in pieces, saying "ah oh, I think I might have just really stuffed up" :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So glad to hear you got it to seat!

Don't ever worry about asking no matter how silly the question might seem. Better to ask than to break something like Boybland said!

Just glad to hear it works for you and we could help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.