pdfs on ipad

Reaction score
We create an online edition of our weekly newspaper, and I'm trying to make the pdfs iPad-friendly. One of my subscribers is getting the pdfs, but the text is garbled. Any ideas? Here's a screen shot:

photo.PNG

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Tell them to use GoodReader. It's $0.99.

Had the same issue importing some PDFs into Pages and iPDF.

PM me a link and I'll check one out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 White MacBook 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard V10.6.1; iPad 16g WiFi
Goodreader. Arguably the best PDF app for iPad.

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3G, am going to get an iPad 3G next week and am certainly going to upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out, but seriously; stuff like this is why I really detest Apple. The whole purpose of .pdfs is that they are a truly universal format. To read that the iPad is having issues displaying them properly is a black mark on Apple.

I think I also read that the iPad is having issues opening/displaying .docx files - any truth to this?

Crap like this makes me hate Apple so much. They are doing this on purpose.

Reaction score
I hate to agree

I hate to agree but it's true. Apple and adobe do not play well together :( My iPhone has never had issues with pdf, they work great on it, but that doesn't mean it's a good relationship.

Reaction score
I would be surprised, and disappointed, if it was exclusively ePub-only.
The books app will probably only use ePub.
But there are a bunch of apps which allow you to read PDFs.

It's not like the Kindle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would be surprised, and disappointed, if it was exclusively ePub-only.
The books app will probably only use ePub.
But there are a bunch of apps which allow you to read PDFs.

It's not like the Kindle.

The iBooks app has been updated recently to read PDFs. Even has a separate "book shelf" for your PDFs. No need for any other 3rd party apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I find GoodReader is better at displaying PDFs than iBooks, better even than Docs to Go.

Anyone know of a PDF editor that works on iPad please? Not just for adding highlighting and notes to a PDF - I need to modify the existing text in a PDF.

Alternatively, is there a converter from PDF to DOC for the Mac please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.