Suggestions for a good CD/DVD burning program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
As much as I don't want to bloat my MBP with too many non-music programs, I'm going to have to buy a good CD/DVD burning program. It's getting really irratating when I have to waste 3-5 CD/DVD's just to get one disc that doesn't have glitches when being burnt from the Burn Folder. :Angry-Tongue: Even when I have no applications running in the background, I stll continue to get disc errors. It's been like this since I've bought my Mac 3.5 years ago.
I've used Nero for Windows which was excellent for my music mixes but my friend told me about Toast.
Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Toast is probably considered the top shelf burning application for Mac.

You can burn music from iTunes. There's also Disk Utility, but I suspect that's the original source of the Burn folder.

Another app for burning is Burn, from sourceforge; and here Best Free Mac Burning Software For Mac OSX is some light reading about free burning applications.

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all your inputs! ;D

I mainly burn DVD back ups of my Logic and Ableton Live projects and to burn my DJ mixes to CD.
Both the Burn Folder in Finder and Disk Utility have been the source of my problems in wasting so many discs. It might even be my SuperDrive going bad so I was contemplating getting an external FW800/eSATA Blue-Ray DVD burner.
But for now I just wanted to gather some info from the masses about what's out there for a great CD/DVD burning program. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No one mentioned Burn:

Burn - Home

A very worthy free application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No one mentioned Burn:

Ahem, ahem, see two posts above yours. In the interests of Commonwealth solidarity, I shall overlook this minuscule error ;D. Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
:Oops:
Edit. +1 for Burn :Oops: :Blushing:

C

chas_m

Toast 9 (I never saw a reason to upgrade to Toast 10) works terrifically well on my machine, but then so does just burning from the Finder.

Perhaps the OP's *actual* problem is something to do with the optical drive -- or maybe he doesn't have enough free space.

If you're burning a DVD on a Mac, you should have *AT LEAST* 12GB free. If you're trying to burn DL DVDs, I would of course double that.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It maybe an issue with his choice of media brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I'm not a fan of Burn, as I either have disc errors once finalised, or it says the disk is too small when it is no way near the upper limit of the disk.

I go through itunes atm, for music CDs, but that's a pain as you have to put the files you want into itunes first.

I've used Burn before, and never had any issues with it... I just can't afford it myself!

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
* I posted a reply message on here last night but I guess it hasn't been approved by the Mods yet.

Perhaps the OP's *actual* problem is something to do with the optical drive -- or maybe he doesn't have enough free space.

If you're burning a DVD on a Mac, you should have *AT LEAST* 12GB free. If you're trying to burn DL DVDs, I would of course double that.

I thought it might be the optical drive also but I've tried lens cleaners ever since I noticed the problem when I got my MBP. It would never burn anything perfect... on either Verbatim, Sony, Memorex, Fuji-Film and Imitation brand DVDs or CDs.

I do have plenty free space on my HD though... 163GB free on a 200GB partition. Even when I try and burn saved projects from my external FW HD, nothing burns without errors or glitches.

I'll try Burn and Toast applications this weekend. If those don't help my problem then it's got to be the optical drive that crapping out. I guess I will have to go ahead and buy that external FW Blue-Ray DVD drive that I have always wanted. ;D

Thanks again for the inputs!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.