Erasing a CD-RW On a Mac ???

Reaction score
Hi

I recently needed to erase a CD-RW on my Macbook, at first I double clicked on various tabs and titles including the file tab and edit tab but nothing confirmed how to erase the disc, I even tapped in a question in help but still nothing came up on how to erase the disc. after half an hour of this I finally ended up going online to ask the question How To Erase a CD-RW On a Mac and I couldn’t believe the answer...

Select applications > Utilities > Disc Utilities > select disc to be erased > quickly > Erase Disc. OMG, what happend to just a right click and erase disc? what a process... is the simply no other way apart from the above root ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What's the big deal? Disk Utility is a very useful utility and it is aptly stored in the "Utilities" folder. Makes perfect sense to me.
If a few clicks is too much to remember, just make an Alias (shortcut) and put it on your desktop or in your dock or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Select applications > Utilities > Disc Utilities > select disc to be erased > quickly > Erase Disc. OMG, what happend to just a right click and erase disc? what a process... is the simply no other way apart from the above root ???
I don't really use CD-RWs anymore but the process you are describing isn't as torturous as you make it sound.

Disc Utility is an application so you can place it in the Dock as a shortcut. I do. It really is just a two step process.

1. Open Disc Utility (it's very fast if you created a shortcut in the Dock as I have mentioned)

2. Choose the disc and click erase (quickly erase is already selected as default)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opening Disk Utility is no harder than opening Nero or Easy CD Creator in Windows which is how I have always erased CD R/W's in Windows.

Agree with MymacROX, Make a Alias to Disk Utility.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Being new to OS-X i wasn't aware i could make an alias of Disc Utilities and place it on the desktop, that short cut has helped tons. Thanks! everyone for your support. :D

Mm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
Being new to OS-X i wasn't aware i could make an alias of Disc Utilities and place it on the desktop, that short cut has helped tons. Thanks! everyone for your support. :D

Mm.

Since I like to keep my desktop and Dock "uncluttered", may I suggest another option.

You can start any program using Spotlight.

Press Command + spacebar. This will bring up Spotlight.

Start typing the name of the program you want to start ... in this case Disk Utility. Spotlight will simultaneously show what files/programs it has found as you type. For me, by the time I had entered "di" the list showed Disk Utility in the category Top Hit.
I press enter and Disk Utility is started.

From start to finish, I had Disk Utility up and running in less than 4 seconds. If I want to start System Profiler, by the time I had typed "sys" System Profiler was the top hit ... press enter ... program started.

If the program I want to start was not listed under Top Hit, but was listed further down under Applications, I could use the down arrow to highlight it and press enter.

Mike

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Thanks! for suggesting that 2nd option Mike, will try it. :)

Mm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.