Gaming Problems

Reaction score
Sup,

I got a macbook 13 inch so I could run Logic Studio 9, which I got up and running fine. I'm also a gamer, so I installed windows XP with Boot Camp. I installed Oblivion, Bioshock and CoD 4.

My old gaming laptop was a Toshiba with
Intel Core 2 duo 2.00Ghz
2gb RAM
ATI Radeon 2600

That could run all of the above games at full graphics and 1280x1000 (or whatever it is), and the Macbook has a better processor, same RAM, and near enough graphics card (my local pc nerd reckons GF9400 is slightly worse).

But when I try and run Bioschock, I get lag with everything set to minimum. On oblivion and CoD I get slight lag at times with everything set to minimum and 640x400.

Now I expected performance to be maybe slightly worse going from the ATI 2600 to the GF9400 cos the specs are very slightly worse, but this difference in performance is plain rediculous.

Can anyone offer any help?

Add on :: Tried Bioschock and CoD 4 demos running on OS X as well, and still the same poor performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Well, they aren't gaming systems, as I'm sure you've heard/figured out. Macs are for essentially everything else.

Even still, the games should be running ok with min settings, not to sure why you're experiencing lag. If you still have your gaming laptop, the obvious solution would be to go back to that.

OP
F
Reaction score
yeh but I'm on the move and on my feet a lot, and work with Logic on a daily basis, so lugging two laptops around isnt really an option. But yh I can game on that at home just not on the move...

And I see videos of people playing things like Bioschock and CoD 6 (higher than mine) on Mac Minis on medium settings/res on youtube. And the specs in the description are the same as a macbook???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
What he said...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Ok download OnyX and run that. It is a cleaner app that will free up space/resources on your computer.

Also as a side note, how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

T

todd51

Ok download OnyX and run that. It is a cleaner app that will free up space/resources on your computer.

Also as a side note, how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

I agree with blackmac11's idea. Run Onyx scripts, along with verifying/repairing disk permissions. Make sure you also don't have anything else running in the background of the computer when trying to play these games. I suggest quitting ALL open applications when going to play a game since they are pretty intense games. If that doesn't work, do a fresh reboot, then try to open up a game, which will give you the maximum amount of memory available for your system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.