Using a PC keyboard with a Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
I just got a gifted Mac Mini. Two partitions, one MacOS 10.6.2, one with Win XP. The first time I booted up the MacOS side my PC keyboard was recognized and all was well. I am having a little trouble with getting it to recognize my external modem, but think I have solved that by going through all the system files. I have Bluetooth. I bring this up because when I went in to configure Bluetooth so I can connect to the net on the MacOS side. All of a sudden, my keyboard wants to switch the 'z' and the 'y', num lock doesn't work any longer, and the thing I need, the @ sign, I cannot find. I need to know if I ticked something when going into the system files on accident or what. And if so, how do I get it back? I think this grandma is having entirely too much fun figuring out all the ins and out of MacOS.

Nother thing, I see there is a foldable, soft plastic, easy to clean, mini keyboard. Anyone know anything about this? Is it worth it?

Jann:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the forums Jann!

First thing to try - is open System Preferences, Keyboard. Click the "Keyboard" tab and remove the check (if it's there) where it says "Use all F1, F2......." Next, click on the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. Click on the button that says "Restore Defaults". See if that helps.

On a PC keyboard, the @ sign should be in the same place as it is on any standard US keyboard - upper case 2. I should mention that not all PC keyboards are 100% compatible when used with a Mac; most are, but some are not. Best bet is to purchase a genuine Apple keyboard. The wired aluminum model is $49.99 and can be found at an Apple store or Best Buy.

As for those small fold up keyboards, don't waste your money on one.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini running MacOS 10.6.2, 1.5ghz Intel, 2g 667 MH2 DDR2. Bluetooth, Firewire
PC keyboard

I tried all of that. I have about 8 PC keyboards so I am familiar. I was just over on the MacOS side and brought up a text box to try a handful of key combinations. No @ sign anywhere. This KB is a Dell, I have another Dell, wireless and assorted Compaq/HP keyboards. I think I may hook them up one at a time and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice re: roll-up keyboards! I wasn't going to get one until I got an opinion!

Now I have to start a discussion about this modem, stay tuned.................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
alt = option

Windows/Start = Apple/Command

(although my PC/Mac keyboard has it backwards!)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are the only changes I do know!! LOL I did notice a character map on there. How do I use that to insert the @ sign? I can live with the z and y reversed, no clue about how that happened. I did find the option again to get my keyboard recognized. I also found I don't need the num lock. I'm learning! I will be purchasing a Mac KB next week. If I'm going to learn the MacOS, I should have it all!

Jann:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go into System Preferences, Language & Text. Select "Input Sources" and check off the box below that says: "Show input menu...."

After that, you'll see a small US flag in your menu bar. Click on the flag and select show "character viewer". The character viewer is very handy as it has symbols for currency, and many other symbols including the @. Just press the symbol you want and it will be inserted at the cursor.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.