Newbie Questions...

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post and I'm sure it will be full of plenty of newbie questions. Please bear with me while I explain my situation. I'm in the market for a new "computer" (Mac or PC) and I've been looking into Macs more and more. I've been a Windows user for nearly ten years and a "Linux" user for four (I've ran every major distro you can think of). I've completely switched over from Windows to Linux based operateing systems. It only made sense since I am currently running some extremely old hardware and the biggest performance boost I could afford (been out of work for months) was to switch from Windows to Linux.

Anyway, I currently have a job and I've been looking into new computer prices again. Right now I am pretty dead set on a laptop since I am away from home Monday thru Friday. Pretty much I am trying to find a decent reason to spend $1000 - $1200 on a 13 inch Macbook with a Core 2 Duo when I can buy a 17 inch PC (laptop) with a Core i5 for the same price or cheaper. I know I am going to get a bunch of the "fan boy" replies (as some people would say). I just hope there is one of you out there that can provide hard hitting reasons why buying a Mac might be a better choice for me.

Some main questions I'd like answered other then why should I choose a Mac are: Should I get a Macbook or Macbook Pro? Do Macbooks (Regular or Pro) have dedicated video cards? How come Macs don't have video ports (HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc.)?

Thank,

Powerman2442

P.S. I've never touched a Mac in my life. I saw some on display breifly at Best Buy's mini Apple Store. I actually plan on going up there and test driving some of them to see what I like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Quite simply, the biggest reason to get a Mac is the superior OS. If you've been using Linux systems, then you understand this. Stability, no viruses, no need to ever shut your notebook off.
This should help you decide which Mac notebook is best for your needs. LINK
If you do choose a MacBook or MacBook Pro, consider purchasing from the refurbished store. These are like new and tested thoroughly before they go up for sale.

Remember, you get what you pay for. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Check these out and come back with some more specific questions. They do have "video ports" and the links should explain the graphical differences. The 13" vs. 17" question only you can answer after doing some more research:

Apple - Get a Mac

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart

My reference to the 13 inch or 17 inch was refering to the fact that I could buy a Macbook Pro 13 inch with a Core 2 Duo for roughly $1,100 - $1,200 or a 17 inch PC with a Core i5 for the same price or cheaper depending on the brand. So I am trying to figure out why a smaller screened laptop with a 4+ year old Core 2 Duo costs so much.

As for everything else I've already watched most of Apple's tutorial videos, read the FAQ, compared the different models and what not. I think I'm going to Best Buy this weekend to try some hands on to see what I like.

OP
P
Reaction score
Quite simply, the biggest reason to get a Mac is the superior OS. If you've been using Linux systems, then you understand this. Stability, no viruses, no need to ever shut your notebook off.
This should help you decide which Mac notebook is best for your needs. LINK
If you do choose a MacBook or MacBook Pro, consider purchasing from the refurbished store. These are like new and tested thoroughly before they go up for sale.

Remember, you get what you pay for. :)

Thanks, I will check out the refurb store when I get off of work. Liked I said to the other post I plan on doing some hands on at Best Buy this weekend. Maybe it will help me decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Go spend a few hours looking at one. It will probably become clearer for you. You do get what you pay for in my opinion. I work on both every single day all day. Unless something changes I will always buy a Mac with my hard earned cash. Good luck. Come back if you have more questions!

Reaction score
i was also bemused when deciding to buy my first mac as to why it is so expensive , there is no real way to sugar coat it, you DO pay extra coin for the fan boy tax.
i don't believe the substantial extra costs are really justified, but you do get a good looking computer that wont go mental every time you do a system upgrade or install software.

Reaction score
Well the macs will probably be more expensive and you must consider that, but to me the OS and build quality are worth any difference in price. And if you haven't considered a plain old Mac Book Micro center is or was running a sell for an instant 200 dollar rebate bringing the cost to 800 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nex time, please identify the subject of your concern or question in the title. Previewing this thread does not help identification due to your lengthy introduction. Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Software

You did not mention what kind of software you want to use or what sort or work you are planning on what to do on the new computers?

Those choices can affect what type of computer you should get. Macs are good at somethings and rubbish at others, the same with PCs.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well the macs will probably be more expensive and you must consider that, but to me the OS and build quality are worth any difference in price. And if you haven't considered a plain old Mac Book Micro center is or was running a sell for an instant 200 dollar rebate bringing the cost to 800 dollars.

Yes, in my original post I stated that I was debating on a Macbook or Macbook Pro. The only laptop I've ever had was 15.4 inches and every desktop and/or TV screen I've owned was 17 inches+. I'm not to sure if I'll enjoy the 13.3 inch screen on a regular Macbook. I'll have to find out where the nearest Micro Center is, or order online if I decide to get a regular Macbook.

OP
P
Reaction score
You did not mention what kind of software you want to use or what sort or work you are planning on what to do on the new computers?

Those choices can affect what type of computer you should get. Macs are good at somethings and rubbish at others, the same with PCs.

The main reason I want a new computer, specifically a laptop, is because I am away from home all week. I really don't want to tote around a desktop computer. I've been browsing online at places like TigerDirect and NewEgg to check out prices of different laptops and I started thinking about Macs. There is really nothing specific I'd like to use it for other then basic tasks that any web browser can do. YouTube, e-mail, IRC, etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you are doing such simple tasks, want to save a few bucks and don't mind Windows, you should stick with a Windows box.

As mentioned, the OS is the main attraction. It's so hassle free and less prone to disastrous crashes and conflicts. No anti-virus software to worry about, and my MBP hasn't slowed down a bit in the 2 years I've had it. The build and the features are a plus. You do pay a premium because Apple makes high quality stuff and they're a niche company. I hear a lot of computer companies put used or sub-par pieces in their machines. When problems arise, there's only one company to deal with that makes the hardware, applications and OS, and when you call AppleCare it's generally a person here in the US who speaks fluent English.

There are tons of reasons why I will never buy another Windows machine again, and stick to Macs. You kind of have to decide for yourself.

OP
P
Reaction score
If you are doing such simple tasks, want to save a few bucks and don't mind Windows, you should stick with a Windows box.

As mentioned, the OS is the main attraction. It's so hassle free and less prone to disastrous crashes and conflicts. No anti-virus software to worry about, and my MBP hasn't slowed down a bit in the 2 years I've had it. The build and the features are a plus. You do pay a premium because Apple makes high quality stuff and they're a niche company. I hear a lot of computer companies put used or sub-par pieces in their machines. When problems arise, there's only one company to deal with that makes the hardware, applications and OS, and when you call AppleCare it's generally a person here in the US who speaks fluent English.

There are tons of reasons why I will never buy another Windows machine again, and stick to Macs. You kind of have to decide for yourself.

Thanks to all for the help. After running to Best Buy today I am pretty dead set on a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro. Unfortunately I didn't walk out with one, but I plan on ordering one in a few weeks. The sad part about it is that I was so amazed with the mag-safe power connector and quality of the construction on the Macs they had on display that I spent very little time playing around with the OS (maybe 10 - 15 minutes max).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Very rarely have I encountered something you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac. The key is learning. The Mac OS is very different from Windows.
I don't want to say forget what you learned about Windows; but my problem was exactly that. Having 10+ years of IT and MIS experience it wasn't easy.
Using OSX opens up a huge library of open source software. One that I'm using constantly to convert Microsoft WMV files is MPEGStreamclip and ffmpegX to convert wma audio.
Don't let the Windows kids fool you - there is plenty of software for the Mac including software designed for business. Something like 20% of Apple's computer sales were to businesses.
I am entering the accounting profession and am still a student - but so far I have encountered four accounting firms that use Macs exclusively. They weren't little mom and pop tax services either; one was a regional office for a Big three firm, which I found interesting - I can't say which of course. Allegedly there was a major security breach via a Windows exploit and this firm is now experimenting with that particular office to see if switching to Apple is feasible.

OP
P
Reaction score
Very rarely have I encountered something you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac. The key is learning. The Mac OS is very different from Windows.
I don't want to say forget what you learned about Windows; but my problem was exactly that. Having 10+ years of IT and MIS experience it wasn't easy.
Using OSX opens up a huge library of open source software. One that I'm using constantly to convert Microsoft WMV files is MPEGStreamclip and ffmpegX to convert wma audio.
Don't let the Windows kids fool you - there is plenty of software for the Mac including software designed for business. Something like 20% of Apple's computer sales were to businesses.
I am entering the accounting profession and am still a student - but so far I have encountered four accounting firms that use Macs exclusively. They weren't little mom and pop tax services either; one was a regional office for a Big three firm, which I found interesting - I can't say which of course. Allegedly there was a major security breach via a Windows exploit and this firm is now experimenting with that particular office to see if switching to Apple is feasible.

Yeah, I really shouldn't have any major issues with the switch. I will just be spending some quality time on Google and browsing the forums. :)

One quick question if anyone can answer it. Do I need AppleCare? is it just an extension of the standard warranty. Similar to that of extended warranty services offered by Dell and HP, for example? Or is there no hardware warranty with Macs unless I opt into the AppleCare program?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.