mail.app with gmail need some help

Reaction score
hi there i am new to working with the mac mail.app and i do have to say i am liking it after using gmail online mail app for so long. but one problem i have with the mail app is i have had set up in gmail online for ages is .

on my server i have set up an email forwared to my gmail email then set in gmail to send the reply from the email it was sent from. so it look as tho it had not come form my gmail account so it looks more pro for work stuff, but now that i am using the mail app this is not working how do you set this up via the mail app ?

so in other works when my server sends the email to my gmail acount as an forwarder when i reply it shows that email as the reply email and not my gmail one.

Hope this makes sents and thank you for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Your original post is kind of hard to understand but I think I know what you are talking about. Do you really need to still forward all your email to your Gmail account? The benefit of using an email software (Mac Mail) versus a web based one like Gmail is that you can check all your emails in one area. I'm assuming this is why you forwarded all your server emails to your Gmail account.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it would be a lot easier to just setup Mail to get emails directly from your server and Gmail at the same time. Both email accounts will show up in Mail and all the emails from your server will reply with your server domain name.

I have three email accounts that I manage through Mail so there is no need to forward all of them to one email account like you are doing.

OP
M
Reaction score
hi there sorry you did not understand my first post i have work out how too do it in fact its very simple you just carry on with the set up via gmail with the settings u had before

but in mac mail go to preferences the accounts then where you gmail acount is just add the extra email with ,[email protected],

then it works in the same way

i need the webased email at times for when i use my mobile phone so that is why i want to set it up this way and it works great so i am really happy now

liking the mac mail.app it seems really good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Okay. It makes sense now that you said you need it for your mobile phone. It's good to hear that your problem is solved. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.