OCR'ing a screenshot - can I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
I have received a Windows document that has in it a screen shot of a large number of different lists of members. However, I need to somehow to get these names into a spreadsheet so the that they can be sorted, un-duplicated, that kind of thing etc etc.

I can see the doc fine with iWork and the screenshot itself can be selected ok, but, I suppose I need to do some form of OCR on the screenie to copy the names and then paste them into the spreadsheet to allow me to do the manipulation.

Any ideas how I can do this - I have no OCR software and don't know if this is a feature of OSX anyway.

Thanks for any help...!

M

MacInWin

What is the format of the screen shot? I have had some success with copy/paste from PDF to spreadsheets, but true images are usually not good for that.

OP
rholmes01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06 GT130 1Tb
The screenshot is just a cut out of Paint that has been pasted into a .docx and is literally just a list of 30 or so names

M

MacInWin

I would recommend just typing them into the spreadsheet. For 30 names, any other way will be even more work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I had old OCR software for the mac but it doesn't work with anything above OS 10 so I can't remember what the image format needed to be in. I do remember on my PC that the image format was tif, so as long as you could convert your image to tif format then you could OCR it. If you google there are some OCR software for mac.. If you have Microsoft Office (PC) then it includes MODI (Microsoft Office Document Imaging), If you have Adobe Acrobat then the ability to OCR is in it too (I know it's in 7 pro).

ref: Apple - Support - Discussions - Microsoft Office Document Imaging on OS ... and How to use OCR scans in Acrobat 7 Professional | Video « Wonder How To

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.