Jaguar

C

CubeStyle

I am currently using Jaguar 10.2.8, which is running on my G4 Cube.

Can I use a upgrade version to go to 10.4 Tiger??

OP
I

iMe

I'm pretty sure you can go straight from Jaguar to Tiger without any problems. How much ram does your cube have?

OP
C

CubeStyle

iMe said:
I'm pretty sure you can go straight from Jaguar to Tiger without any problems. How much ram does your cube have?

192.......When I installed Jaguar, Classic was left on my H/D.....not sure if it had to be done that way or if it was an option.

If I upgrade to Tiger, will I then have three different OS's on my HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
only 192, wow, you should be able to install tiger, though coming from jaguar, you may have to erase and install as opposed to an upgrade installation, there was an option so you wouldn't keep classic, you can just delete classic if you don't need it. you can't have 3 os's on your hd, tiger would replace jaguar if you are able to upgrade install, just the system, and leave your files and such alone.

OP
C

CubeStyle

Macman said:
only 192, wow, you should be able to install tiger, though coming from jaguar, you may have to erase and install as opposed to an upgrade installation, there was an option so you wouldn't keep classic, you can just delete classic if you don't need it. you can't have 3 os's on your hd, tiger would replace jaguar if you are able to upgrade install, just the system, and leave your files and such alone.

Yeah, only 192. I"ve never performed any hardware upgrades obviously but that's next on my list.

So, how do I actually erase classic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its just a folder in you mac hd called "system folder", it might have a 9 on it, just put that in the trash, empty the trash and that should do it. and delete the applications os 9 folder also.

OP
C

CubeStyle

I get an error saying can not complete because "system folder" is required by the system. Hmmmm.........any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
CubeStyle said:
192.......When I installed Jaguar, Classic was left on my H/D.....not sure if it had to be done that way or if it was an option.

If I upgrade to Tiger, will I then have three different OS's on my HD?
Classic is not an OS. It is essentially an emulator for OS 9, but not a true OS. If you actually had OS 9 installed first, that is different...either way, you would only have one OS at a time, Tiger would replace Jaguar...anywho...
As far as the upgrade...If you have an upgrade disk for 10.4, I am fairly certain that you cannot jump from 10.2 to 10.4. You will have to first install 10.3, then you can upgrade. Unless the disk is a full install of 10.4, then you don't have to go to 10.3 first, but you will most likely have to do a full wipe and install. If you do a full wipe and install, you will lose any Classic or OS 9 you may have installed on your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
CubeStyle said:
I get an error saying can not complete because "system folder" is required by the system. Hmmmm.........any ideas???
One of two things ....

A) you are trying to delete the wrong System folder

B) you are currently running Classic and therefore cannot delete the Classic System folder.

I would double check that you are not running Classic, if you are, just stop Classic then try again. Also, make sure the System folder you are deleting is the one with the "9" on it....Not the one with the "X" on it. :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Everyone else answered the Jaguar to Tiger question. I will just add this. Tiger really will be bogging down with 192Megs RAM. You can use it but it will be swapping to the hard drive all the time when running programs. I would add more RAM as soon as you can. Go with at least 512 Megs. The Cube uses PC100 Dimms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dtravis7 said:
Everyone else answered the Jaguar to Tiger question. I will just add this. Tiger really will be bogging down with 192Megs RAM. You can use it but it will be swapping to the hard drive all the time when running programs. I would add more RAM as soon as you can. Go with at least 512 Megs. The Cube uses PC100 Dimms.
Yeah, I missed that part. 10.4 minimum RAM requirement is 256 MB. I agree that you would want at least 512 MB to start, though.

OP
C

CubeStyle

D3v1L80Y said:
One of two things ....

A) you are trying to delete the wrong System folder

B) you are currently running Classic and therefore cannot delete the Classic System folder.

I would double check that you are not running Classic, if you are, just stop Classic then try again. Also, make sure the System folder you are deleting is the one with the "9" on it....Not the one with the "X" on it. :black:

Well, i'm not attempting to delete the wrong system folder, i'm positive of that and I do not think i'm running any programs that would use classic. However, how could I confirm this?? I am just looking at my programs in the dock to check what's running. Also, being a cube, Classic (OS9) was current when I got my cube, therefore it was my OS until I installed Jaguar........if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
CubeStyle said:
Well, i'm not attempting to delete the wrong system folder, i'm positive of that and I do not think i'm running any programs that would use classic. However, how could I confirm this?? I am just looking at my programs in the dock to check what's running. Also, being a cube, Classic (OS9) was current when I got my cube, therefore it was my OS until I installed Jaguar........if that helps.
Go to your System Prefs and check to see if Classic is running. If it is, there will be an option to stop it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
D3v1L80Y said:
Yeah, I missed that part. 10.4 minimum RAM requirement is 256 MB. I agree that you would want at least 512 MB to start, though.
I would just max it out at 1.5GB

OP
C

CubeStyle

D3v1L80Y said:
Go to your System Prefs and check to see if Classic is running. If it is, there will be an option to stop it.

It's not running......... :confused: When I go to SP, it states that classic is not running, but of course gives the option to start it........

It's confusing as to why it will not let me trash it.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
CubeStyle said:
It's not running......... :confused: When I go to SP, it states that classic is not running, but of course gives the option to start it........

i cant help you but why would you need to it doesnt take up that much space and you never know when you will need it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CubeStyle said:

you might have to do it in pieces, but try selecting the system folder, click
File>Get Info, in the info palette, under ownership & permissions, change it to read & write on everything, including details, under owner, change it to your username, then click apply to enclosed items, that should be it. if it doesn't work, go in and delete the contents one folder at a time, changing each folders permissions as you go along if necessary, after deleting all the contents, you should be able to delete the "system folder" folder, if none of that works, renaming the system folder should let you delete it after you change the owner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.