• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New MacBook Pros making questionable graphics switching decisions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
It appears that the new Apple MacBook Pro laptops that auto switch graphics cards may be making wrong decisions.
MacBook Pros with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M silicon making questionable graphics switching decisions -- Engadget
Looking in the system profiler you can see what card your mac is using, it will say "Online: Yes" under the individual card info that is active.

Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Found way to know what GPU is in use! - Mac Forums

OP
McYukon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Well if you are running from the battery, and the fast card is sucking power even though you just have a browser open, and think the power will last a bit longer because the slow card should be on, it could be an inconvenience.
I guess you could always set it so that the auto switching of cards is off, and just use the slow card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm glad I have my 9400/9600.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.