Can't find new hard drive in disk utility or install disk

Reaction score
Help! I dropped my macbook a couple days ago. Although it only fell a couple inches, it gave me the ? folder. I assumed that meant I wrecked the hard drive, so I got a new one (needed an upgrade anyway). But now I'm trying to install the new drive and it won't show up when I try to select the destination volume from the OSX install DVD. It also doesn't appear in disk utility. Can someone tell me what to try next?

Thanks.

OP
N
Reaction score
nope

Thanks for the reply 6strings.
Unfortunately, that does not help with my problem. I took my macbook to the genius bar today and hey tested my old hard drive (Not functional) and my new drive (working fine in an enclosure). However, they could not (and I still cannot) figure out why my computer won't recognize the new drive. I have bridged the two points on the jumper block to assure 1.5gb transfer rate and also took the machine apart to ensure the sata cable is firmly seated but still nothing. Any thoughts are welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
bridged the two points on the jumper block
are you sure that is a usable setting for the Mac?

OP
N
Reaction score
are you sure that is a usable setting for the Mac?

Well, no, I'm not sure - but I did read it some other forums that this is an issue with older macbooks, and Seagate's documentation mentions it in more general terms (not mentioning macs specifically) about the need sometimes to force the drive into the slower mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Is this a different drive to the one that was replaced - did that have jumpers? Try the new one in the same config as the old one. Give it a shot with no jumpers.
If you need more suggestions include models of Hardware, Mac & HD and also OS u are on.

Reaction score
I've got the same problem. Just installed a new WD HDD (320/7200) on my 17" MBP (1st gen), but the drive wouldn't show up in Disk Utility to initialize.

Put it into a case and plugged it into my Mac Mini. Got a message it needed to be initialized and it was recognized right away in DU. Initialized as MAC OS Extended (Journaled). Everything was a good.

So I reinstalled the drive on my MBP and confirmed that all connections are tight. Twice. My new hdd is still a no show.

Could it be the controller on the logic board is bad. What's the best way to find out for sure?

Reaction score
Took it to the Apple Store - they replaced the hard drive cable and holder. Problem solved - $23, sweet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.