Restore system

Reaction score
I have an issue with restoring data after a partial disk failure. I had partitioned my macbook hard disk into two partitions. I kept much of my user data on the second partition, while keeping some necessary user folders and files on the primary partition, which is also the partition where the OS was installed. At one point I dropped the macbook and about a week later I experienced a hard drive event that required me to replace the disk. The old disk has an unreadable primary partition, but the secondary partition is fully functional. Is there some way to restore the data from the old disk's second partition back to the user folders that now reside on the primary partition. I tried doing this and the permissions of the files I moved over were screwed up and didn't match the permissions of the other files in the folder. This rendered some applications unworkable and denied the user access to their files. It appears that the permissions are both user and machine specific and the new system views these files as still belonging to the old system. Also, many programs treat the files that they control in more of a database fashion than a file system fashion, which seems to prevent this moving of files from being effective.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Fred

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.