Older macs

T

tytanic11

After playing with my new PowerBook, my little brother is addicted to the iLife apps, particularly GarageBand and iPhoto.. needless to say, pulling him away from my PowerBook to get work done is quite hard. Since it's our family's only mac, he can't run those programs on any other computer, and is looking to buy a used Mac. It'd obviously have to run OS X, and run it at a decent speed- what are my minimum requirements ? I know Apple's official ones, but I mean to run it well. Since he won't be using it too much, he's most likely looking for a G3 or G4 model, in the $200-$300 or less range. Keep in mind, he's not playing games or anything - just GarageBand, Mail, maybe Safari. Would one of the older iMacs work? What about a lower end G4 tower? Mimimum processor speed?
Thanks,
-Tyler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
GarageBand is an incredibly system heavy program and you are not going to find a computer to run it with that price

OP
T

tytanic11

trpnmonkey41 said:
GarageBand is an incredibly system heavy program and you are not going to find a computer to run it with that price

ok, then i'll put it this way: what is the minimum I can expect to pay for a system capable of running GarageBand?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

I have a g4 cube ith a lil more than 1 gig or ram and it flys in garage band...

u can find cubes on ebay for around 300-500 USD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
xthisisRomancex said:
I have a g4 cube ith a lil more than 1 gig or ram and it flys in garage band...

u can find cubes on ebay for around 300-500 USD
A cube is just like the first generation G4 towers, but without all the upgrade potential. Also, G4 towers are cheaper b/c they aren't collecters items (yet). I recomend a 466 MHz (Digital Audio) or higher and max it out with RAM. Check www.macofalltrades.com
www.baucomcomputers.com
www.4daystar.com
and eBay. If you find one that you are interested in and need the complete specs check out www.lowendmac.com and www.everymac.com and

Good luck

OP
S

sonofapplepm

jhelm007 said:
A cube is just like the first generation G4 towers, but without all the upgrade potential. Also, G4 towers are cheaper b/c they aren't collecters items (yet). I recomend a 466 MHz (Digital Audio) or higher and max it out with RAM. Check www.macofalltrades.com
www.baucomcomputers.com
www.4daystar.com
and eBay. If you find one that you are interested in and need the complete specs check out www.lowendmac.com and www.everymac.com and

Good luck

Very good recommendation! I second this post!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.