Why smc Fan Control?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
I have been seeing a lot about smcFanControl when I have been just browsing random apps. And I was wondering why so many people use it. Because won't the computer automatically turn the fans up and down based on its temperature sensors? Also isn't there any settings to do it without a third party application?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually used SMC to control the fan, but over time, I noticed that the computer actually has very good fan start-up points when temperatures start increasing. The only good thing I see about smc now is that, even though I don't control the fans anymore, I still like knowing what the speed is at because I like knowing that the computer knows it is reaching higher temps. As I like to call it, prematurely starting the fans is just a waste of effort. If it was needed, the computer would have done it itself. Have confidence in your machine!

Reaction score
I have never even thought about the fan in my computers in all the years since I have had them. Even in my heavy gaming days. These fan monitor makers must be making a fortune! It's like convincing people to buy the extended warranty (sheer profit for the retailer). They play the odds - chances are very high you'll never use it, and the percentage of people who actually do is very, very small. (I did get the extended apple care for my MacBook - I was sucked in.....). Clark Howard (and Consumer Reports) says never get them. But I digress..........

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As was pointed out, the fans are thermostatically controlled, making programs like these mostly redundant. In the desktop PC world where many times gamers like to overclock their machines, programs like these are sometimes needed. But I personally have never seen the need to run them on a notebook - particularly a Mac notebook where the clock speeds are fixed.

Reaction score
if you just want to see the fan speeds and the CPU temp and other stats I would recommend iStat. It is free and the best part is that you are not messing with any settings that you are not suppose to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
if you just want to see the fan speeds and the CPU temp and other stats I would recommend iStat. It is free and the best part is that you are not messing with any settings that you are not suppose to.
Was free, version 3 came out today with some new features.
Right now it costs $10, a steal such a useful application in my opinion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Was free, version 3 came out today with some new features. Right now it costs $10, a steal such a useful application in my opinion.

I agree. He's added some nice features in version 3. Besides, I like to support authors of shareware and donation ware. They deserve renumeration for the work and time they put in development.

Regards.

Reaction score
I did donate a small amount ($5) for the free version and $10 does not look that bad... will get it this evening, thanks guys...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac C2D, 3.33Ghz, 8mb Ram; 24" iMac, 2.66Ghz, 4mb Ram; 14" iBook
Was free, version 3 came out today with some new features.
Right now it costs $10, a steal such a useful application in my opinion.

Think that was iStat Menus which is now a paid for app. You can still get iStat Pro Widget for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have istats pro on mine too, but I think its easier when you can just see it on the menu bar…or is there something new that you guys are talking about?

No, my account has not been jacked, it's still me:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.