Install Windows 7 on iMac 27 (over OSX)

0dB

Reaction score
I know this is probably a dumb question but I searched pretty hard and could not find the answer. Is it possible to just blow out the MacOS and install Windows 7 on an iMac 27? Seems like the obvious answer should be yes since it's basically an Intel based PC but I wanted to make sure. I'm sure a lot of people will think this is a dumb idea but I'm still curious to know if it's possible.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You'll want to go through Boot Camp to install it..kinda expensive to buy an iMac and just install Win 7 on it..if you really need Win 7, you can always partition the HD such that both OS X and Win 7 can coexist..

Regards

OP

0dB

Reaction score
jr renders

Obviously I don't know enough about 'boot camp'. I personally think the iMac 27 is a pretty good deal for the hardware and would make a great Windows based system. I would like to use OSX but I play tons of PC based games and am guessing that would not work so hot in a virtualized environment like Parallels. Thanks!!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For running Win7 the iMac is actually a bad deal for hardware..you could build an i7-based PC with a 27" LCD for cheaper..but that's besides the point..

Anyway, boot camp, is Apple's way of properly partitioning the HD to make space for Windows (or other OS) and then guide you through the process..it also includes the necessary drivers for Windows to make the stuff on the iMac work properly.

Learn more at Apple - Support - Boot Camp

Regards

OP

0dB

Reaction score
make growers

Just for clarification though..you could install Windows directly formatting over OSX?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes..you could..but you'll still need the Boot Camp drivers to get all parts of the iMac properly functioning under Windows..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes..you could..but you'll still need the Boot Camp drivers to get all parts of the iMac properly functioning under Windows..

Regards

Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to run anything for Bootcamp you have to have OSX installed as well. I don't think you can just whack OSX and pop in the Win 7 disc and go, but I could be wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to run anything for Bootcamp you have to have OSX installed as well. I don't think you can just whack OSX and pop in the Win 7 disc and go, but I could be wrong.

You are correct. You can't implement BC without OS X being installed.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.