Help new MBP owner!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I was curious to ask anyone, I know they say Mac's are less vulnerable than their counterparts, but should I install any anti-virus software on my Mac? And if so can someone direct me to the best one!

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No, you don't need it on your Mac. There are NO viruses for Macs!
If you have your HDD partitioned and a version of Windows installed, then you will need some sort of Anti-Virus ONLY on the Windows partition. Still not necessary on your Mac OS X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
Thank you so much! I figured it wouldn't need one, because it never told me of any security risks like Windows Security Center. Thats neat :) thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac C2D, 3.33Ghz, 8mb Ram; 24" iMac, 2.66Ghz, 4mb Ram; 14" iBook
I've been using Macs since 1988 and always had some anti-virus software installed including, along the way, Norton, Virex and more recently Intego Virus Barrier. I only had anti-virus protection because I was operating a bureau service outputting Mac files from all the various graphics applications and was being hit with disks and files from literally hundreds, possibly thousands of sources over the years and wanted to make sure I neither received a virus or passed one back to one of my customers. In all that time I was in business I never saw a virus on any Mac disk/file I was given.
Nowadays, as I'm not using my Macs in a commercial environment, I don't have any anti-virus software installed that is constantly running in the background as they are resource hogs, I use the free (although they welcome a PayPal donation, but you don't have to) ClamXav which I just run periodically to check everything is still squeaky clean.
Sorry for the ramblings, but in short you don't need to bother but if you feel more comfortable with something ClamXav comes recommended by a lot of people on the various Apple forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.