Please Help, cannot open docs on a pc sent from mac

Reaction score
I am using microsoft office 08 to email papers for college to the professor. I save the file as a docx. I have also saved as a .doc and sent it. When trying to open the file on a pc with xp. it goes like this:
A box will pop up asking to open or save file
Name:title of paper
Type: Compressed (zipped) folder, 30.0 kb
So I click open, another box pops up asking if i want to save the file
Name: title of paper
Type: unknown file type, 30.0kb
Only has option to save or cancel so i press save
A save as box opens so I save it to my documents on the pc
saving- title of document.docx
Next it states download complete and I click the open box to open the file.
Next window that pops up states:
Windows cannot open this file:

File: title of document.docx
then asks if I want the web to find the program
or select program from a list

I cannot figure out why this is happening. I really need to get this stuff turned in. I should mention that it does open on a pc if I send it as a pdf but thats not the way the prof wants it.
Thanks for the help and sorry for the huge post but I wanted to be descriptive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
What version of Office is on the PC? To open a .docx file you need Office 2007 or a 2007 viewer. The best is to save it in 97-2003 format on the Mac side and then you shouldn't have an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, Snow Leopard, Intel Core 2 Duo
Type: Compressed (zipped) folder, 30.0 kb

Try sending it uncompressed. I've never had good experiences with compressed files, and if you're only sending one document, it doesn't actually "shrink" the file size. Compressed files only shrink the file size if you have a folder with a LOT of large files in it.

if that doesn't work, and you're desperate to get your paper turned in on time, you can always send it as a PDF, and then copy&paste it to a word Doc on the PC. you'll have to do some re-formating, and it'll be a pain, but as a last-ditch effort it'll do in a pinch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
jdmccay - .docx is not a compressed file, but an Office 07 document - if the receiver is interpreting it as a compressed file, then chances are the professor doesn't have Office '07

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To KellyMac:

Do as advised by JohnCL, save the document using compatibility mode. In other words save it as a Word 97-2003 document. And as you were advised in another reply, do not compress the file. Just attach it to the email message in its saved format. Your Prof should be able to open it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.