Wi-Fi or 3G for Wi-Fi only person?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

I want to ask a question abouy May 10. Specifically which ipad should I be ordering? I know I will only be using Wi-Fi on the ipad. But:

Should I get 3G for those just in case secenarios?
Do I have to get a plan to get a 3G one? Or can I get one with no plan?
Would the extra weight of 3G be a hassle if your opinion?
Is the extra cost worth it for someone will not be using the 3G part of the 3G+WI-Fi ipad ever?

And just remember Apple like to charge like a bull for their Non-US customers. So the extra cost for 3G I assume will be a fair bit more then the US cost. So this extra cost is not trivial at all.

I know what I want to use my future ipad for but not which one to get and any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
I was also stuck on this question about a week ago.

However it came down to this. Do you have a iPhone 3G/S?

If yes, then i honestly do not see the point of paying an Extra $100 (From Wifi to a 3G Model)
THEN an extra $15/$30 each month for 3G. AND You said your hardly ever gonna be using it. I know some people said "Its better to just have the option" Thats true but you already have an iPhone, If you end up in a place without Wi-Fi, wip out your iPhone and use your iPhones 3G service that your paying for each month.

If you think your gonna take it to places without Wi-Fi A LOT then go ahead and just get the 3G, but if not, then i dont think its worth the extra money when its just gonna be there un-used. ;D

Reaction score
I have the same dilemma. I would go for the 3G model "just in case". I don't have Wi-Fi at work, so I couldn't use it there. I have Wi-Fi home but sometimes it shuts down so I have to use my iPhone. Yes, I have an iPhone 3G and might not need an additional 3G device.

Argh, I don't knowwww1!!!

P.S. Can you tether an iPhone to an iPad?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I do not own an iphone or a touch.
But I agree with your rationale. "but if not, then i dont think its worth the extra money when its just gonna be there un-used". That does make a lot of sense.

And to let you know. In tha last 5 years. I have been unable to get to a wi-fi access point say about 10 days of those 5 years. All the rest I was in range to easily get to a wi-fi point. Or in other words I live near a big city and never leave it really.

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
If you get Wi-Fi access easily, then just go for the wi-fi. If in the future you feel you need 3G alot, sell the wifi and buy the 3G.

For now though, i would just go for the Wi-fi and see how it goes.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tether an iPhone to an iPad?

Jobs has said no to that.

And to Tactical Apple:
Thanks I will take your advice on May 10.

Reaction score
Btw what is going on May 10?

I'm thinking about the Wi-Fi only version too now...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I went back and forth on this issue. To me it comes down to several things:

1) Does $130 USD represent a substantial budget hit?
2) Will you travel, even occaisionally where wifi won't be available?
3) Do you turn your devices over regularly (ie will you be replacing when the 2nd generation model comes out)?

If you answer yes to the first and third and no to the second questions, then to me it's a slam dunk, get the Wifi model. But if you answer the reverse on 2 of the three, I'd go with the 3g, which is what I ultmately did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad
Hi,

You don't need a plan. You'll be able to order a month at a time from the iPad. So yes, you can have 3G just when you need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Are you ever in a situation where you would need 3G "just in case?" Say, when you're traveling, you could use it at the airport, at the hotel, etc. Now you can get Wi-Fi at airports and hotels, but based on pricing for those things, activating the $15 250MB plan for a few days is probably going to be cheaper than paying separately for the airports and hotel.

I travel frequently, but not every airport has Wi-Fi and hotel Wi-Fi is priced obscenely high (like $12 per day, might as well pay the $15 on the iPad and have access for a month). Hence why I'm getting the 3G version.

There is no contract, the data plan is essentially pay as you go. You can activate it for one month, then turn it off till your next vacation three months later. And it's all done straight from the iPad.

Would the extra weight of 3G be a hassle if your opinion?

If the extra 0.01lbs (0.05kg) is a significant weight difference, perhaps you should be hitting the gym before you purchase the iPad ;P

Is the extra cost worth it for someone will not be using the 3G part of the 3G+WI-Fi ipad ever?

As I said earlier, if you see yourself in situations where you might not have easy access to Wi-Fi access points, then having the 3G feature available as a backup is worthwhile. However, if you never see yourself using the feature, then save yourself the money.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Btw what is going on May 10?

I'm thinking about the Wi-Fi only version too now...

May 10 is the date the Non-US people can preorder the ipads (Wi-Fi and 3G) from the Apple sture in their own country.

And to Razormac:

Nice post. And for me:

1. I'm assuming $200-250 Aussie dollars for the 3G. Knowing how much Apple like to charge us. And that is a hefty price but I could probably afford it at a pinch.

2. Nope. I'm a city person and have not been outside major cities in over a year. That's if you don't count plane travel from one major city to another.

3. No. If I get an ipad it'll be long term. I'll keep it for 5 years at least. I have a habit of keeping all my Apple things for 5-10 years.

So I did answer yes to the first and no to the other 2. Well that yes is a maybe. It's all up to is the added on 3G is worth it price wise.

To shipsupt:

Thanks. That's helps a lot :).

Reaction score
If I may ask, fellow iPad goers, I read somewhere that for those who are ATT&T customers, we can have access to Wi-Fi like in Starbucks. Does that work if you have an iPad WiFi only and are in a Starbucks and want to connect to the WiFi? Like I have an iPhone so I am an ATT&T customer, could I access the WiFi in Starbucks with the iPad Wifi Only?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So I did answer yes to the first and no to the other 2. Well that yes is a maybe. It's all up to is the added on 3G is worth it price wise.

My answers were similar, other than my wife and I are traveling by car pretty frequently now (kids all out of the house) and I felt the $130 spread over 4 to 6 years was worth it to not miss out on a functionality I might end up wanting.

Part of that was because I loved my iPod touch and was annoyed because I couldn't use it on the secure network at work. With the iPhone I have my iPod touch, but don't have to rely on the wifi availability.

In your situation, if the cost is pretty steep I would probably go with the Wifi model. IMHO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
No question about it for me. I've ordered the 3G. The idea of having access to the net beyond wi-fi is something I'm looking forward to especially with the pricing plan. Very cool!

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the 3G model. I don't replace my electronic equipment on a regular basis (I only just upgraded from a PSX to a PS3 a couple of weeks ago). I also know how to develop websites and there's a big chance I'll do exactly that to get the apps I want on my iPad.

But the downside is its an extra $150 for a webhost.

Reaction score
I am buying an iPad because it seems to be such an excellent, COMFORTABLE way to read the internet, eBooks, play with email, and do a few other things.

A device like the iPad, for my intended purposes, is simply a large, fragile paperweight if it does not have constant internet connectivity, so I am counting down the days until the 3G releases and I'm definitely going to spend the extra money for the 3G model.

If you never leave your home, stick with the Wifi model, but if you want the freedom to go pretty much wherever you want and maintain that awesome reading experience, get the 3G model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.