Think of selling wifi on ebay for a wifi+3G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So, I'm thinking of taking advantage or the price premiums going on on ebay right now to sell mine and get the 3G model. To me the $129 was not worth it because I have "other ways" of getting internet anywhere on my iPad. But it owuld be more convenient to have 3G onboard.

My only concerns is that I would have to sell/ship internaltionally, which I'm a bit worried about. Also mine is technically used even though it's still in pristine shape while others are selling their unopened.

But my biggest concern is international selling. I'm worried someone buying might request a return and send me back a box of rocks, but Paypal always sides with the buyers and I would be screwed.

Do you think it's safe to sell/ship internationally? Anyone here that has sold internationally that can let me know about their experience?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a little confused. Why do you assume you have to sell internationally? Your profile says your location is "Anytown, USA".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS
Because people selling there iPad on eBay are mostly selling World Wide, and the price is going over $700 for a 32GB Wi-Fi Version with that option (it attracts more people to it obviously)

So his worried someone is gonna jib him off.

Honestly, i would be worried as well, you should try and sell it in the US only and see how it goes. If you want the price over what you paid, put it on reserve price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because people selling there iPad on eBay are mostly selling World Wide, and the price is going over $700 for a 32GB Wi-Fi Version with that option (it attracts more people to it obviously)

So his worried someone is gonna jib him off.

Yes I know that since the iPad has not been released worldwide...that there is much more international demand for the iPad.

But there are still many many buyers here in the United States that are still paying a premium on e-Bay for an iPad. So if selling an iPad at a premium is what someone wants to do...and they live in the US...this can still be done without selling internationally.

It is also about risk. Some folks would consider "taking advantage" of the "premiums" folks are willing to pay for iPads to be a very distasteful activity.

In this case if selling an iPad internationally is the way to get the most "premium" from an iPad sale...then there may be some additional risk. To get more "premium"...you have to take more risk. Sometimes you can't have it both ways!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you want to take the risk and sell it, I'd do it before May 10. Cause then we will know what the ipad prices are.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to take the risk and sell it, I'd do it before May 10. Cause then we will know what the ipad prices are.

Hey "the8ththark"...are you saying folks outside the United States don't even know yet what the iPad will cost once released? I thought everyone knew the prices...availability or launch date was the main issue.

I could be mistaken of course.;)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked out some auctions the other day, but all of the auctions that were getting a real premium were those that shipped internationally. I didn't check out the bidders to see where they're from (or if that's even possible)

Guess I could try domestic with reserve, but I tihnk selling with a reserve is costs more and you have to pay even if a reserve aucition doesn't sell.

Wonder if there's a way to only allow bidders that have significant positive feedback. That would make me feel better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't check out the bidders to see where they're from (or if that's even possible)

Guess I could try domestic with reserve, but I tihnk selling with a reserve is costs more and you have to pay even if a reserve aucition doesn't sell.

Wonder if there's a way to only allow bidders that have significant positive feedback. That would make me feel better.

I don't think you can find out where a bidder is from...unless you e-mail & ask them.

A reserve auction does cost more...and the amount depends on the reserve price.

I don't think that there is a way to prevent bidders with a low amount of positive feedback or a lower positive feedback percentage from bidding. I know that I have seen sellers including statements in their auctions saying "No bidders with less than "x" number feedback". Or less than a certain percentage of positive feedback. But I really don't think you can actually prevent these folks from bidding.

It sounds to me like you're not to crazy about selling something on e-Bay...whether you're shipping the iPad domestically or internationally. If this is the case...maybe it would just be better to keep the iPad you have...rather than trying to sell it for a premium & getting the 3G iPad.:)

- Nick

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm thinking that too. Seems like a good opportunity, but I truly won't use it much outside of wifi areas. And as I mentioned, there are ways around that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I'm thinking that too. Seems like a good opportunity, but I truly won't use it much outside of wifi areas. And as I mentioned, there are ways around that.

If you REALLY want an iPad 3G model. Why not sell your current iPad on Craig's List (where you meet face to face with the buyer & get paid cash)...thus MUCH less risk....and forget about selling it for a premium.

You may not get a premium for the iPad this way...but you will get most of your money back to put towards the 3G iPad.

Just a thought,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hey "the8ththark"...are you saying folks outside the United States don't even know yet what the iPad will cost once released

Yes I was. As in May 10 we will know what the ipad will cost in our local currency. So you are correct.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I was. As in May 10 we will know what the ipad will cost in our local currency. So you are correct.

I see. But doesn't not knowing what the iPad will cost in local currency make it really really tough for international buyer of iPads on e-Bay (buyers outside the United States)...to know how much they are paying (or getting ripped off) by folks in the United States selling iPads?

I think that the smart folks internationally would be MUCH better off waiting until May 10th to see what the iPad will cost them in local currency...then they can make a better judgement if the e-Bay iPad auctions are worth it or not.

And that's only if there are supply issues of iPads internationally. Since it makes no sense to pay higher than retail price on e-Bay if an international buyer can purchase an in stock iPad directly from their local Apple Store or local Apple Internet Store.

- Nick

Reaction score
Hey "the8ththark"...are you saying folks outside the United States don't even know yet what the iPad will cost once released?
Correct. In Dubai (I dunno why they've gotten them) they're double the price. In Australia we almost always have to pay more for any electronic goods compared to America. It isn't a question of if we'll pay more. Its a question of how much more we'll pay.

If anyone international can get an iPad for retail US price, they'd be quite smart to get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.