Wierd trash can behaviour

Reaction score
Hi all....i new here and being a new mac user myself, i ran into a wierd trash can problem on snow leopard 10.6.3

It seems that everything i deleted on my my mac gets deleted permanently without getting into the trash can. I couldnt recall when this started to happen but ive installed few stuffs like macfuse and tuxera ntfs and also bootcamp with windows 7.

This problem is bugging me since i couldnt recover any accidentally deleted files. Anyone here got a solution for this prolem? Thank you in advance.

Oh and btw, since im new here lemme introduce myself:

Im jukaz from Malaysia
been using mac for bout a year now and still learning
using a mac mini + mbp 13"
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums Jukaz
I just want to be sure that you have in finder preferences/advanced:
"show warnings before emptying trash" checked and "empty trash securely" unchecked"

Then I want you to move an item to the trash that you don't need, and see if it empties on it's own.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanx for ur help...i did follow ur step...restarted my mac but the problem still persists. This is the notification that i get:

Screenshot2010-04-21at103951PM.png

Im deleting a file that resides on my osx hdd. Not on my BOOTCAMP partition. Doesnt it supposed to send the file to the trash can first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Before attempting this, if you are uncertain, or don't have a backup on an external drive, download Carbon Copy Cloner, and use that to make a bootable clone of your System. Carbon Copy Cloner - Home

Open utilities (in applications folder), and open terminal.
You must type this exactly as is, in fact, copy and paste it to be sure that you have put the spaces where they need to be, as it can have really bad consequences of you do it wrong.

For an admin account, copy the following and paste it in the terminal window: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

press enter
type your password and press enter
quit terminal
Log out of your account and then log back in
Test it now.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yay! Finally! Thank you very much 6string!!

Now i can delete files normally. U are definitely a good mac troubleshooter!!:D

Btw, what does the purpose of the command? Issit some sort of trash can repair command? Thanx you again. !!!DOUBLE THUMBS UP!!!

p/s ur reputation should increase now!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.