• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tried Chrome OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
It really does suck. So, you turn your computer into a giant brain-dead web browser. You can't install things. You can't do real work. Just look at websites.

I'm told this is the future of computers.

I'm glad that I still own an IBM Selectric typewriter from the 1970s. It'll become more useful than my computer when this "internet is the future" crap comes true.

Seriously, GOD SAVE ME from this internet future.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No NET-PC Cloud for me either! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
I didn't mind it so much. Remember it's meant to be extremely lightweight; you could probably run it on an ATM if you wanted to. You've got the services of Google Mail, Calendar, Docs, Maps, Video etc, so it's still a bit productive, but by no means is it going to work on netbooks. I can't see the market they're going for with ChromiumOS...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.
Phone > ChromiumOS

Well I can do all that on my phone and more and it's more lightweight...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well for an OS that is still clearly beta if not late alpha, it's not bad. But it still needs a million per-cent upgrade to even have a chance at being useful at being an OS people will use every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
It really does suck. So, you turn your computer into a giant brain-dead web browser. You can't install things. You can't do real work. Just look at websites.

I'm told this is the future of computers.

I'm glad that I still own an IBM Selectric typewriter from the 1970s. It'll become more useful than my computer when this "internet is the future" crap comes true.

Seriously, GOD SAVE ME from this internet future.

It's still in pre-beta form. This is like complaining about a 2012 model car, because the prototype that you saw demonstrated didn't have seats or a dashboard in it, and why would anyone want to drive a car without seats or a dashboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, Snow Leopard, Intel Core 2 Duo
i don't think that the cloud is the FUTURE of computing. it might be the future of some aspects of computing. with the way our online society is going, and consumers expecting everything that comes from a computer to be free (music, ebooks, programs) then the cloud could possibly become a substantial piece of "the future of computing" as for entire cloud based OS's with no files or offline storage?? no. i don't think that will ever take off

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Google Chrome OS is a Cloud OS. That is exactly what Google intends it to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well no one knows what's secret server farm they are building will be for. They could be entering the cloud computing market too. But that's way off topic. I think come back in 2011 and see what chrome is. As today it's just a half baked beta.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not going to argue with anyone about Chrome OS. I know what Google is flat out saying it's for. That is all I need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I had the same thoughts after trying Chrome OS. Right now I've got my Ubuntu 9.10 VM and will have a 10.1VM when it turns official.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not a fan of cloud computing here. Whatever OS I run, I have no interest in it being a tool that locks me into someone else's storage of my personals. I'd rather VPN into storage based in my home that rely on a vendor. Something about having someone else managing and owning (i.e.: possession is 9/10ths of the law as they say) my data is too Orwellian for me. To me, it ranks right up there with having a tax funded and Federally managed national ISP infrastructure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
No problems here with Google Chrome, in fact, its recently replaced my Firefox browser, and Im quite happy with the number of great extensions available for it too.

Reaction score
No problems here with Google Chrome, in fact, its recently replaced my Firefox browser, and Im quite happy with the number of great extensions available for it too.

LOL. The topic isn't about the Google Chrome Web Browser, it's about the Google Chrom OS.

I myself, didn't care much for it. I mean, I definitely understand the purpose and do find it intriguing, but it doesn't fit my needs.

I'll stick to Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Been looking at the idea behind " the cloud " for 2 years now and as long as large companies do not embrace the concept, it will not fly.

Think about all the data protection legal constraints that are currently in place....

I like the idea of the cloud, the implementation of that idea is a whole different ball game.

To me, Google's Chrome OS is more of a feeler, to see if there is appetite, than a real project ..... it is a front-end to a non-existing back-end.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
it is a front-end to a non-existing back-end.

Well said McBie! That's absolute poetry. I'm going to put that in my pocket and hang on to it. Hopefully bust it out at work some day. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Not a fan of cloud computing here. Whatever OS I run, I have no interest in it being a tool that locks me into someone else's storage of my personals. I'd rather VPN into storage based in my home that rely on a vendor. Something about having someone else managing and owning (i.e.: possession is 9/10ths of the law as they say) my data is too Orwellian for me. To me, it ranks right up there with having a tax funded and Federally managed national ISP infrastructure.

Again, something we agree on. I'll never store info in the cloud unless it is my own home cloud that I control.

One day I'll have a nice rack of server storage completely disconnected from the intertubes with all my personal stuff on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.