• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Macbook and FCE?

Reaction score
I've recently gotten into video editing and I was looking at getting Final Cut Express. I currently have a 13.3" white Macbook with intel core 2 duo 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM and about 17 GB left on the internal hard drive. I plan on using a large external hard drive to store the actual video footage. What would you guys suggest upgrading since going with a macbook pro isn't really an option at the moment. I assume upgrading ram would be in there but how much?

Reaction score
Hi Danarchy911,

i would upgrade to 4 gig ram.... i am using the macbook and have no issues and can run multiple applications. but the battery goes fast.

not much HD space i would think about your set up. remember HD's fail and fail often have 2 external HD one as an extra back up, just incase. if it is lost it is gone :( this includes internal HD.
i have moved to FCE and need help :eek:... i will be posting tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It will work, but as mentioned you will definitely want to upgrade your RAM - there are many 13" white Macbooks that are in your CPU range, you will want to confirm your version but if you have a relatively new one you should be able to upgrade it to at least 4 gigs - I have edited with 2 gigs, 4 gigs is much nicer when editing video. One concern is if you have an Intel GMA X3100 or 950 - some fxplug features may not work - but that may not be critical to what you do (most features of the software will work fine - not even Apple was able to tell me back when I was shopping for a Mac which filters wouldn't work on the GMA chipset).

As you probably already guessed, you will not want to use your internal drive as your scratch/media drive. You will want and external Firewire drive (not USB if possible - although USB will work, it's much slower then firewire when dealing with large streaming files similar to video files) to act as your scratch/media drive. You will then need to go into the settings within FCE and tell it where the scratch/render/media drive is and it should use that to store your video/audio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.