MBP Buying Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Pre Unibody
So I'm in kind of a unique situation. I'm ready to buy a new MacBook Pro and I can't make up my mind and I need some help. Either way I'm getting a new one but my lust for an iPad is complicating the issue. Here are my two options.

1. 15" Core i7 Processor/ 4GB/ 500GB 7200/ Anti Glare/Hi Res Screen
or
2. 15" Core i5 Processor/ 4GB/ 320GB 5400/ Glossy Screen and a shiny new iPad

I can't make up my mind and I'm wondering what you guys would do. I want an iPad and I played with the i5 and the i7 at the Apple Store today and I still can't make up my mind. They were both very fast.

For the background, I use my current MBP for work but don't do anything crazy on it. I edit a little video here and there and do some Photoshop from time to time but for what I do my Non-Unibody MBP C2D is working fine.

I know either one would be a huge upgrade over the machine i have now but should i use the extra $500 on the system or satisfy my need for an iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Personally I would get option one save some more money and still get an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You buy what you want...... there are many posts here like this, nothing unique about it.
I would buy option 1 or 2.... Also, even though at times I wish I had anti glare, I love the vibrant display of the glossy screens.
My opinion on the iPad:
I don't see the point of of it. To me it is just like an oversized iPhone without the ability to call anyone, and a cool toy to have in addition to a proper computer and a cool phone, but totally unnecessary! :)
This thread can only lead to many opinions, and at the end of the day, it is your money, and you should get what you want, even if it's not what you need!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Yeah I'd have to agree with 6string. Pick the Mac that meets your needs. You don't need to buy anything your not going to use or need. So if you will be fine with the i5, there's no reason to get the i7.

Also, what is the point of an iPad if you have a MacBook Pro?? Why not get an iPhone (wait for the summer for the new one) then you would have a portable device that actually fits in your pocket and can do everything an iPad can do. And if you REALLY need the bigger screen... use your MACBOOK!! :D

I really don't see the need of an iPad for those that have a MacBook and iPhone.

Good luck pal.

-Ben

Reaction score
If, as you say, you mainly use your MBP for work and really want something like and iPad then the choice is quite obvious - go for what you want. It is pointless to listen to everyone around you if in the end you are not satisfied with the purchase yourself.

For me personally, a little more horse power on the CPU, the extra hard drive space and a faster HDD at that too would seal the deal with for my needs.

One small suggestion is to get a MBP now and wait for the iPad 3g.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me personally, a little more horse power on the CPU, the extra hard drive space and a faster HDD at that too would seal the deal with for my needs

Why would you buy something you don't need?? If his needs can be matched by the i5 MacBook, there is no reason for him to pay the extra and get the i7 that he doesn't need. Buy for your needs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It would help a little more if elaborated as to how deep into video and photoshop he intends to go and what software he has or is going to install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I'm in kind of a unique situation.

No your not...we get about 10-20 of these posts per week.;)

As far as your question. If you really want an iPad...go with option #1. You didn't really mention any high-end tasks for the MBP...so another reason to go with option #1.

By the way. You already have a MacBook Pro...why do you need a newer one? If you don't REALLY need the latest & greatest MBP...why not save some money...and just get the iPad?

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Why would you buy something you don't need?? If his needs can be matched by the i5 MacBook, there is no reason for him to pay the extra and get the i7 that he doesn't need. Buy for your needs..

May I please ask you to read my whole post in entirety instead of quoting a part of it out of context.
My initial suggestion was the exact thing you said: for him to go with what he wants, to meet his needs.
The sentence you quoted merely illustrated how I would justify the purchase if I was in his position. That is not the advise, that is context to the advise of buying depending on ones requirements and expectations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
For me personally, the anti-glare screen is a MUCH preferable to the glossy screen, on top of the i7 having a faster processor. But again, only you know what you need.

I wouldn't hinge my purchase on the iPad. In fact, I never get the first generation of anything. Within a year they'll add a camera and drop the price and the current iPad will look out of date pretty fast. Remember all the suckers who just had to have an iPhone when they came out? That model looked quaint just a short time later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
May I please ask you to read my whole post in entirety instead of quoting a part of it out of context.
My initial suggestion was the exact thing you said: for him to go with what he wants, to meet his needs.
The sentence you quoted merely illustrated how I would justify the purchase if I was in his position. That is not the advise, that is context to the advise of buying depending on ones requirements and expectations.

Ahh ok mate. We're tatlking about what's best for HIS needs. And I was asking you, why would you get a machine way ahead of the specs you really need?? You said that the extra "horsepower" and HDD would seal the deal for you.

So you're saying that you would pay extra to have a better machine than you need.

At the end of the day OP, buy what you need. There's no point in having the best machine if you don't use it to it's full potential. You wouldn't even notice a difference if you had the i5 or i7 and just using it to browse web pages and read emails and other basic tasks. A C2D would be fine for that. I don't know if Apple are doing a clearance of all their old C2D stock, but you may be able to get one cheap if you do find one. Or maybe look in the refurbished Macs section.

And yeah, there's nothing really unique about your post.... "Should I get this, or should i get a faster Mac"....

These posts come through here every week...

But goodluck mate.

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I know either one would be a huge upgrade over the machine i have now but should i use the extra $500 on the system or satisfy my need for an iPad?

You forgot one other option. Just get yourself the iPad and keep your old MBP. As you mentioned, your current MBP works for what you need so why buy a newer one? Sure if money were no object I would buy a new car every year, would buy new underwear and never bother to wash them after using them just tossing them... but that's only if I have more money than I know what to do with... I see buying a laptop as the same type of deal.... sure it would be great to have a new one each time Apple makes a newer faster prettier one, but I'm not sure if I could justify it... Only you know the depth of your bank account.... but if your concerned about an extra $500 are you sure your thinking with your mind or your heart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
you forgot one other option. Just get yourself the ipad and keep your old mbp. As you mentioned, your current mbp works for what you need so why buy a newer one? Sure if money were no object i would buy a new car every year, would buy new underwear and never bother to wash them after using them just tossing them... But that's only if i have more money than i know what to do with... I see buying a laptop as the same type of deal.... Sure it would be great to have a new one each time apple makes a newer faster prettier one, but i'm not sure if i could justify it... Only you know the depth of your bank account.... But if your concerned about an extra $500 are you sure your thinking with your mind or your heart.

^^ +1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.