Migration from windows is done thanks to i5 MBP..2 q's..

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have finally completed my switch from windows to a mac by getting a 15' i5 MBP to go with my 27' quadcore imac.

I am still learning 'mac' and have 2 q's now im free from windows...

1. is it worth getting a time capsule to back up both MBP and imac, or can I use any external hard disk? I am thinking of investing in external disks just for back up purposes.

2. is it worth using my one-to-one membership for a macbook pro session or are there no newer/hidden features on a MBP?

for what it's worth, I had NO Problems at all in connecting my new MBP to my imac via ethernet to transfer data!! I was amazed how painless it was!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Save your money. Just get a regular external hard drive for your Time Machine backups. The wireless feature of Time Capsule is neat, but hardly necessary, plus I've read about little glitches in the way it works.

I don't think there is anything about the One to One session that you couldn't get from the multitudes of tutorials on Apple.com or a book like The Missing Manual. Or just from lurking around here, for that matter!

C

chas_m

1. is it worth getting a time capsule to back up both MBP and imac, or can I use any external hard disk? I am thinking of investing in external disks just for back up purposes.

With a Time Capsule, you are paying for three functions:
1. A wireless backup drive that can handle both machines
2. A top-notch Airport wireless router
3. The incredible convenience of having it all done automatically.

You can certainly buy two wired external hard drives and a high-quality multi-band "N" router and have the same basic functionality, but I think you'll find the cost is about the same. So really it's down to personal preference.

2. is it worth using my one-to-one membership for a macbook pro session or are there no newer/hidden features on a MBP?

So you're saying you already have a one-to-one membership? If so, then no I think there are probably other things you could better use that for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.