Going to take it back :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Guess we'll agree to disagree.I have an iPhone and a MBP, but the usefulness of this for me is enough to make it different and useful beyond those other devices.

This is EXACTLY how I feel! I am going to Mexico for a week and I cannot wait to leave the spendy MBP at home and bring the iPad!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And so far as the big iPod touch debate goes, I think someone already said, it's a big iPod touch like a 50 inch TV is just a big 20 inch portable TV. That difference in size is a big deal.

I 100% agree! The bigger display on the iPad is a BIG BIG deal (unless you want a portable device that fits in your pants pocket).

But yes...the larger iPad display is a HUGE difference. And it's that very quality (larger display) where the "large iPod Touch" nickname for the iPad comes from! Which is SUPER ok in my humble opinion!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Really -- "full office productivity?" Typing the same as on your laptop? The larger virtual keyboard doesn't let you touch-type as on a physical keyboard. If you two-finger type on your laptop, then I get that, I guess, but I wouldn't say the iPad lets you type as fast as a laptop.

I would call more like 4 finger typing for me. And I did just mean for me, not for everyone in general. It's pretty much on par with my normal typing because I don't touch type. I really don't miss my keyboard at all when I use the keyboard on the iPhone.

Anyway, I was just mentioning a couple of many, and soon to be many more differences. I tried to put out the fire by agreeing to disagree, but I guess the wild fire has grown out of control! :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried to put out the fire by agreeing to disagree, but I guess the wild fire has grown out of control! :/

I'm ok with agreeing to disagree!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You know what? I think for the original psoter there is way to much tech overlap. WHich is sad as the iapd could have been a little more unique in it's niché. But for me the ipad is best suited to those without a portable computer or PC users as a starting point for them to switch. I'm sure Apple secretly hopes the PC users who get an ipad feel the halo effect and soon after buy more Apple priducts.

Seriously if I already had a MB or MBP or latest touch I would probably never get an ipad. But cause I own no Apple portable devices. (Yes a white 30GB pree classic ipod does not count:) ). I could make full use of the ipad.

Reaction score
You know what? I think for the original psoter there is way to much tech overlap. WHich is sad as the iapd could have been a little more unique in it's niché. But for me the ipad is best suited to those without a portable computer or PC users as a starting point for them to switch. I'm sure Apple secretly hopes the PC users who get an ipad feel the halo effect and soon after buy more Apple priducts.

Seriously if I already had a MB or MBP or latest touch I would probably never get an ipad. But cause I own no Apple portable devices. (Yes a white 30GB pree classic ipod does not count:) ). I could make full use of the ipad.

I already have an iPhone and MBP and this is why I haven't bought an iPad yet :) But from what I read on this forum there are many people who bought and iPad who already have all of this plus other computers lol. Maybe they have shares of Apple...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I already have an iPhone and MBP and this is why I haven't bought an iPad yet :) But from what I read on this forum there are many people who bought and iPad who already have all of this plus other computers lol. Maybe they have shares of Apple...

I already have an iPhone and MBP and this is why I bought an iPad. The one is too small for my old eyes and the other is too big to be convenient for just relaxing without a heat block sitting on my lap. I'm too poor to own shares of anything. I guess I could have taken all the money I've spent on all of the totally unnecessary electronics over the last 40+ years... naw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
I only use my iPad ,now that I sold my nexus one the wait for the new iPhone starts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
I am one of those who sold other devices because of how much I like the iPad. But, just like everything else in life, the iPad is not for everyone. Glad it was an easy process to take back, different strokes for different folks....

T

todd51

I'm currently going through a case of tech overlap. Mine is currently between my cell phone (Motorola Droid) and I have an iPod Touch that's only about 1 year old. I haven't used the Touch in a loooong time, but feel like I need to use it. I know I would use it if I could plug it into my car and use it there, but I can't. I'm not about to go out and buy a new car either just so I can get my iPod to work in it.

I'm constantly debating whether I should just throw music/movies on my Droid or take my iPod along with me. I've been sticking with just the Droid so I only have to carry one device. Also bought an extra battery. I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth out of my iPod though. Maybe I should sell it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone, g4 PowerBook, ipad
I already have an iPhone and MBP and this is why I bought an iPad. The one is too small for my old eyes and the other is too big to be convenient for just relaxing without a heat block sitting on my lap.

Will you keep your iPad when you will get the iPhone 4G?

I think a lot of people miss the whole point of the ipad. I am tired of sitting in a chair working on a laptop or a desktop. The iPad is freedom!

Really, the iPad is perfect. Not to small...not to big.

The iphone is an amazing product. But it is too small for any real sitting around (or walking) and actually being productive.

With the iPad at work, I can walk around the room and enter comments, grades, attendance, etc. While checking email, keep tabs on other pages. This would be completely impractical with either a netbook or a iPhone. I showed it to my principal, and he is ordering at least one for himself, but i suspect all of the admins will conduct their walk throughs on their ipads.

At home, I can be sitting in a chair, phone ring, get up, easily leave the room, with my pad so as not to disturb my wife sitting in the room with me. When I sit there with my laptop, it is this huge wight in my lap teachered to the wall. And, I admit, I go to bed with my pad. The wife usually is ready to go to bed before me. Last night I really needed to do something on a laptop (FTP access to some files)...and my wife was like, "do i need to sleep downstairs" as the computer was much brighter and noiser.

I know this is trivial to some, but as much as my life revolves around computers, it is important to me to have flexibility and freedom to move around. And as i have been saying to lots of people, if the iPad were only a larger touch, we would all still be using 14" monitors..or for that matter...the 9" screen of the Mac plus, etc.

Reaction score
I think a lot of people miss the whole point of the ipad. I am tired of sitting in a chair working on a laptop or a desktop. The iPad is freedom!

Really, the iPad is perfect. Not to small...not to big.

The iphone is an amazing product. But it is too small for any real sitting around (or walking) and actually being productive.

With the iPad, I can walk around the room and enter comments, grades, attendance, etc. While checking email, keep tabs on other pages. This would be completely impractical with either a netbook or a iPhone. I showed it to my principal, and he is ordering at least one for himself, but i suspect all of the admins will conduct their walk throughs on their ipads.

;D

Yes it makes sense. Sometimes I wish I had something lighter to walk around my house to browse internet or watch Netflix. When seating on the couch or lying on my bed I got to bring my charger with me to make sure the MBP won't die after 1 hour lol. Got your point.

OP
dan828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I haven't used the Touch in a loooong time, but feel like I need to use it. I know I would use it if I could plug it into my car and use it there, but I can't. I'm not about to go out and buy a new car either just so I can get my iPod to work in it.

You can just replace the stereo and use the iPod. I replaced my factory stereo a while back to one with bluetooth capabilities. Not only can I play music and audible books from my iPhone wirelessly on my stereo now, but it also has a microphone and I can use it to make calls and whatnot. Other stereos have built in cables and are capable of controlling an iPod and displaying relevant song info on the head unit. Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn't have all the bluetooth profiles that would make this work really well, but it does work "good enough," so that I use it all the time.

OP
dan828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
OK, interesting side note here. Sounds like the place I work at might be willing to buy me an iPad 3G for work related stuff....talk was really about upgrading laptops, but I'm thinking an iPad 3G with logmein ignition might fit the bill for what I need :p, and it'd be cheaper than the laptop I'd get.

Decisions decisions.

Reaction score
I definitely have space for an iPad in my life. I normally use 3 netbooks (1 main one, a Dell Mini 10, plus two HP ones), 2 laptops (MBP and Dell Alienware M15x), 2 smartphones (Google Nexus One and iPhone 3G) and 2 desktops (Mac Pro and Dell XPS 8100) but I still feel that I have room in my life for an iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.