Problem With Utilities Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
Every time I set the view options for the utilities folder, the settings are forgotten after a restart. The enclosing applications folder and all my other folders have no problem like this, it's just the utilities folder. I've tried deleting the .ds_store file and I've even tried rebuilding the entire display of folders content with Onyx. Has anyone else run into this problem?

More info: This has actually happened to me before when I was running Leopard. Right now, I'm running Snow 10.6.3 with a clean install.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
First, I want to explore/clarify the "enclosed folder" statement. By default, the Utilities Folder is in the Applications Folder. Thus, the Utilities Folder is the "enclosed" folder, and the Applications Folder is the "enclosing" folder. Is this different in your case?

Secondly, what settings are being changed and then ignored? Are you aware of the "Always open in _____ view" checkbox? Whatever is in the ______ is the type of View that it will open in, regardless of changes you make to the View. This allows you to temporarily view the folder in another mode, but reverts back to the preferred mode next time.

OP
virtuoso
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
Sorry, that's what I meant—the enclosing Applications folder.

Any settings I change in the Show View Options panel aren't being saved. For example, if I change the icon size, grid spacing and arrange by settings, it will stay like that until I restart or logout, and then it will revert to the default view.

I've attached two photos to show you what I mean. The first is how I'd like it to stay. After a restart, the settings are changed to the second photo for some reason.

Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 6.19.09 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 6.19.32 PM.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like a permissions problem. Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD. After it boots from the DVD, escape out of the install process by selecting "Utilities", "Disk Utility" from the top menu. Select the First Aid tab and run the "repair permissions" routine. While you're at it, it won't hurt to do a verify and repair run for the hard drive. After that's finished, remove the DVD and reboot. If that doesn't resolve it we'll have to look elsewhere.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
From what I can see it is because in the first image the OP hasn't selected use as defaults!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But if the OP doesn't want the same settings for all windows, not clicking Use as defaults is proper. I'm wondering if the Finder's plist file is hosed.

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
Drag it to the Desktop.
Restart.
Better?
If so, trash the file on the Desktop, you have a new one now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.