AEBS as WDS to extend network

Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT610n dual-band router connected to Cable modem. I have a desktop connected through ethernet and some wireless clients. This main router is setup in office room upstairs. Everything works fine here.

In my family room downstairs, I have the entertainment center which includes PS3, HTPC, Bluray player. I would like to connect all these devices via ethernet to a WDS-enabled router, in turn to main router. I know, some of these devices have built-in wireless client, but I want to use the ethernet port.

My question is, can I purchase a Airport Extreme Base station for this purpose? I want the AEBS to connect to my existing router over wireless and provide internet connection to these devices through ethernet. I believe it is called WDS. Can AEBS be configured in WDS mode to connect to non-Apple branded router?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I do basically what you're wanting to do currently except mine is connected via ethernet. I connect my Time Capsule (would be equivalent to the AEBS) to a D-Link router.

I did a test for someone else about a year ago and was able to set it up connecting wirelessly to the D-Link and then used the ethernet ports from it to connect everything in the entertainment center including my HTPC.

About the only thing I remember now is setting it up to extend the existing wireless network and don't remember it being that hard to do. I'd make sure you have a good signal in the location you want to put it, before putting your cash out for one. And I don't mean your computer sitting close to where it would be, but with it sitting buried in your entertainment center with all the other stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.